cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG VIII Ranger not recognizing M.2 Samsung 950 Pro SSD on Reboot/Restart.

RichJMoney
Level 7
I have Windows 10 installed on an M.2 SSD (Samsung 950 Pro), but whenever I restart (either via windows, an application or BIOS) or Reboot (with the button), the Motherboard/Bios can't see the M.2 drive anymore and asks for a boot device. The only success I've had to get past this is to unplug (or turn off the PSU) for a minute and then the machine turns on fine.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Chino wrote:
How many SSDs/HDDs do you have connected to your system?

I have the 950 in the M.2 slot and a 1TB SSD in the SATA 1 slot. the M.2 Drive is the only bootable drive so when it isn't recognized the startup hangs on "Please connect bootable device"

RichJMoney wrote:
I have the 950 in the M.2 slot and a 1TB SSD in the SATA 1 slot. the M.2 Drive is the only bootable drive so when it isn't recognized the startup hangs on "Please connect bootable device"

When your M.2 divice is installed the SATA_1 slot is automatic disabled. Your M.2 SSD card is in Sata mode on position SATA_1

Sorry for my bad english

olli s

Chino
Level 15
Please look inside the Boot tab and make sure the 950 is the first entry in the boot list. Also disable booting from other devices.

Chino wrote:
Please look inside the Boot tab and make sure the 950 is the first entry in the boot list. Also disable booting from other devices.

The problem is that the 950 isn't recognized at all (not just as a bootable drive), so it's not in the boot list at all when this issue comes up. It doesn't show up anywhere in the BIOS unless I completely cut power for a minute, then start the machine up again.

RichJMoney wrote:
The problem is that the 950 isn't recognized at all (not just as a bootable drive), so it's not in the boot list at all when this issue comes up. It doesn't show up anywhere in the BIOS unless I completely cut power for a minute, then start the machine up again.

Move your 1TB ssd connection to another port than SATA1. When M.2 is used, Sata1 port is disabled and the other way around, I guess.

MohamedKhalid
Level 7

@RichJMoney  Did you find any solution for this?