cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random code 00

voxstelarum
Level 8
Hi, my name is Andrew, I'm new and sadly I come with problems.
One week ago I bought and build this pc:

Cooler CPU Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Extreme Performance
Asus Maximus VIII Formula
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Dual Channel Kit
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti XTREME GAMING 6GB DDR5 384-bit
2x SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA-III 2.5 inch in RAID 0
Hard disk WD Black 2TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB WD2003FZEX
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Galaxy Silver Edition

Everything went well, installed windows 10, and after 3 or 4 days, I started to get some errors, at first, it was error 41 and 55, then only error 00.
I updated the UEFI to the latest version and now sometimes when I power up the PC or restart it, I get the message "Bios is updating...." and after the restart I get a 00 Error code even thogh I have not touchet the UEFI to get the message "Bios is updating"
The only way to make this post and boot again in windows is to cut off the power from the pc or by cmos.
And one more thing, I don't get this error all the time, It's random, I get it once in 2 days or so... and yes, the system was overclocked but now I'm with everything on default to see if I still get the 00 error code.

I pretty much tried everything I saw here on the forum and no, I don't have any bent pins or any physical damage on the MB.
One more thing... the UEFI seems to be a bit laggy, when I scroll and move the cursour at the same time it starts to stutter/lag.
21 REPLIES 21

voxstelarum
Level 8
Hi there!
I can say now that the q code 00 isn't happening anymore.
Another question now, when I OC my ram (manual or XMP) the core voltage seems to be fixed voltage to 1.25v or something like that, even though the core voltage in bios is set to auto. Why overclocking the ram is affecting my CPU Core voltage?
Another question, if I set 1.35v for DRAM after restart when I enter the bios again I see 1.344v for DRAM. To have 1.35v I need to set 1.36v, is this also normal or am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, now I'm running my system at 4.6 ghz in adaptive mode at 1.3v + 0.300v offset, ram at 3000 with your recommended settings and everything seems to be fine, I can pass realbench benchmark and 15-30 min stress test.

Nate152
Back with some good news I see. 🙂

For the ram you can let it at 1.35v or set it to 1.36v, as long as it's stable it isn't going to matter which setting you use, you're not doing anything wrong you can set the Dram voltage to 1.36v just to ensure it's reading 1.35v. Running high speed ram can make the cpu need more vcore but if you're at 4.6GHz with 1.25v that's actually really good and nothing to be worried about there.

This all looks/sounds good to me, now to try out a few games?

voxstelarum
Level 8
Uhm, no, it gets 1.25v at default clock 4.2 ghz with default core voltage set on auto. If I only oc the ram and nothing else the cpu core voltage will be fixed at 1.25v and in windows when the cpu downclocks to 800 mhz the core voltage remain fixed at 1.25v, I don't think oc-ing the ram should set a fixed voltage on the cpu core.

Nate152
Oh ok gotcha,

If you want the cpu core voltage to drop when at idle to .800v you will have to switch the cpu core/cache voltage to adaptive and set the windows power plan to balanced.

voxstelarum
Level 8
I know that, but why is the cpu core voltage beeing set automaticaly to fixed voltage when i oc the ram even though I don't touch the any option regarding the cpu itself. I also have a 4670k and when I activate the xmp on the z87 platform it doesn't change anyting to the cpu.

Nate152
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, if the board is setting the cpu voltage automatically it will do that if you let it on auto.

Is the cpu voltage throttling to .800v when idling in windows? Is this what you're after?

voxstelarum
Level 8
Oh boy :))
Overclocking the ram manualy or by XMP changes the core voltage from dynamic to fixed even though in bios the core voltage is set to auto.
Normaly if I have default settings and voltages and everything is set to auto the CPU core voltage will drop to 0.8v in idle, If I only change and set the XMP without touching anything else, then the core voltage will be fixed at 1.25v and will not drop to 0.8v in idle.

And my question is... why overclocking the RAM (manualy or by XMP) will force the core voltage to be fixed without making any changes to the core voltage or any other setting that doesn't include DRAM.

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear, or my english is a bit off in the sewers... :))

Nate152
Ok I got ya now you're saying when you set the ram manually or use XMP the cpu voltage doesn't drop to .800v when at idle.

Try changing the cpu core/cache voltage to adaptive or offset and make sure the windows power plan is set to balanced, this is the only thing I know to do to get the voltage to drop when at idle.

voxstelarum
Level 8
Yes, you got me now 🙂
Using adaptive or offset does indeed work and the core voltage drops to 0.8v, but I wanted to know if this is normal, why this behaviour, becouse on my other sistem the 4670k this thing doesn't happen, I don't need to chage from auto to adaptive or offset for the voltage to drop in idle., when I set XMP or manually overclock the Ram it doesn't turn the core voltage to a fixed value. I wanted to know if this is normal becouse of this new z170 / skylake platform or something else...

Nate152
I would imagine it's something to do with the new z170 chipset, I didn't have a z97 board so I can't comment on that.

So is everything working how you want with no more code 00?