cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and ASUS Radeon 295x2

Impsak
Level 7
Hi my current new build is:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero/Alpha, S-1151 (Bios 1601, updated to new straight away after building)

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake (overclocked with 5point for now, using AIsuite3. Running stable at 4.8ghz and 1.36v. but I
have forced it to max 45multipliers)

G.Skill Ripjaws4 DDR4-2666 C15 QC - 32GB (only running at two sticks at the moment (8x2GB with XMP profile) as 32 GB / 4 sticks
is not stable at the moment, bios wont boot proberly just keeps resetting before handing over to OS disk..)

ASUS, Radeon R9 295x2, 8GB GDDR5

Samsung, V-NAND SSD 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express, 256 GB (With windows 10, 64bit)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi, Titianium HD

Not my main below issue but just as a starters information..
I have a issue with the XMP profile where I only get it stable running with 2 of my 4 "8GB" sticks. (32GB memory KIT, equal sticks)
But this is no my main concern at the moment, I guess we still need to see some bios updates before this gets solved.
I got the "F4-2666C15Q-32GRR" G.Skill kit which is noted as supported memory kit within the manual..

Either way. My current main issue is as follows:
I have the ASUS 295x2 8GB video card. And it is only running on x8 speed on my Main PCIE 3 16/8 slot.. This is confirmed both
in the bios and in windows (GPU-Z and the render button does not increase the speed.. still x8)

I have also tried in the bios 1601 to force the main display adapter to be the PCIE, then I push F10 save and restart, when I
come back into the bios, it is back on AUTO.. tried this several times. It just dont want to be forced to PCIE.

I have also tried to take out the Creative sound card and also the M.2 SSD from the M.2 slot. This did not help either. My 295x2 is
still running at x8 on the PCIE 3 16 slot.

Im out of things to try, hopefully it is just the 1601 bios which is a problem but i got no clue.

Anyone have any tips or similar problems ? Any inputs are welcome 🙂
Note, I am sure the 295x2 is in the correct slot. So that is out of the picture as a tip 🙂

Thx 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

sucka
Level 7
Hey, why do you say pcie 3?
as long as i know as it is on my m8e, first pci e for me is 16x third is 8x second is 4x and fourth is 4x from pch.

For you should be 16x on first and 8x on second plus 4x third or maybe your can do 8x on it.

But at least on mine i have tested and as it is recomended is the maximum lanes alocated.

sucka wrote:
Hey, why do you say pcie 3?
as long as i know as it is on my m8e, first pci e for me is 16x third is 8x second is 4x and fourth is 4x from pch.

For you should be 16x on first and 8x on second plus 4x third or maybe your can do 8x on it.

But at least on mine i have tested and as it is recomended is the maximum lanes alocated.

Hi,

I guess I call it pcie 3 because it is named PCIE 3 x16/x8 (I probably didn't need to write pcie 3 though)

Legolas
Level 9
You need to go to BIOS, Press F7 into Advanced Mode -> Advanced -> Intel Thunderbolt/USB3.1 Controller -> Disabled
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
You need to go to BIOS, Press F7 into Advanced Mode -> Advanced -> Intel Thunderbolt/USB3.1 Controller -> Disabled

Thx for feedback 🙂

I actually boot directyl into advanced mode, was a bit confused when I pushed F7 and got into EZ mode.. hehe
Either way,
Can't seem to find "Intel Thunderbolt / USB 3.1" controller anywhere within my bios.

It's under Advanced TAB? and what is next sub folder to enter ? (Intel Thunderbolt is not directly under Advanced) and i looked quickly through the others as well.

Reply from ASUS below..

Sorry to hear about your issue

But, I am actually thinking its a compatibility problem here

The card is very uniqe, also it is at least 2 years old chipsetwise and it has not been tested on this motherboard (not been tested on many in general) and it has happened quite a lot on the motherboard market since it was made

So I guess that was their conclusion..

I found the USB 3.1 kontroller and disabled this. (was looking for thunderbolt.. so did not find it straight away)

This did not help. Still not able to force PCIE as main display adapter.

Also, to remove any extra factors, I am now running the CPU in stock 4ghz.. all on auto. (except for the memory running XMP profile)

Update.

Tried replacing the 295x2 with a R5 230 GPU from my media PC / HTPC.

The R5 230 card was actually running x16 in my bios.

Maybe the motherboard thinks I'm running crossfire when I put in the 295x2..

hiong
Level 8
set Primary Display to "PEG" instead of "PCIE", that works for me. Try setting PCIe Speed in BIOS to Gen3, see if that helps to achieve x16 bus interface.

hiong wrote:
set Primary Display to "PEG" instead of "PCIE", that works for me. Try setting PCIe Speed in BIOS to Gen3, see if that helps to achieve x16 bus interface.

Hi thanks for tip.
I was actually able to force it to PEG in bios, when I restarted it was still saved as PEG (PCIE did not work, just went back to auto)

But this did not change the speed. still running @ x8

I also set Gen3, still running @ x8

So I guess this ASUS 295x2 just dont want to be identified as a x16 card on this mobo.