cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCH Temp to high?

dreikant
Level 7
Hello,

the temperatures for PCH und Mainboard seem to be a bit high on my Impact VIII (Z170). The PCH hits 78°C under gaming and the Motherboard 58°C. When idling it is 65°C for the PCH and 45°C for the Motherboard.
Is that still normal?
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
Depends on case air flow. If these temps are jacking up that high when gaming you should invest in a solution to remove the heat your graphics card(s) is/are dumping into your case.
My motherboard temp is stays at 31C and PCH lives at 52-54C no matter Im at idle, encoding, gaming etc. Actually the only time I see an increase of a degree or two in the PCH controller is during huge file transfers to and from USB or something else that actually exercises the PCH.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

The air flow isn't so bad in my case. So I decided to remove the heatsink to check if theres a problem. The thermal pad looks ok. Is it possible to switch to thermally conductive paste?*

JustinThyme
Level 13
I dont believe that changing the application is a good idea. The heat sink is not made for use with just TIM and I dont think that will make any difference.
Are you running your GPU(s) on air? Its pretty much a guarantee that grahics is whats heating things up.
Leave your side panel off for awhile and see what happens. Ill bet those temps drop dramatically.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

The PCH Temp is 10°C lower (67°C) when I leave my side panel off. Still a little bit high...
Your are probably right. My GTX 1060 is heating things up. But is ventilation in the In Win 901 case so bad? I have 3 fans installed . A 120mm fan (900 rpm) in the front and a 92mm fan (1200 rpm) in the back. Another 120mm fan on a 120mm radiator which is mounted outside the mainboard area.
A GTX 1060 with a radial fan would likely lead to better temps. Are there any silent versions out there? Thanks for your advice.

panzlock
Level 12
A 10°C drop is quite a bit. What is the ambient temp in the room where the PC is? That will play a role in component temperatures.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Ambient temperature is probably 20 °C. A Temp Sensor on the back of the Mainboard (attached to the backshield) measures 24°C when I start the PC.

panzlock
Level 12
Although these component temperatures are not critical I personally would not want them to be that high. Ambient is perfect.

Are any of your fans conflicting with ingress and egress between the front intake fans and rear exhaust fan? (you want clean front to back air flow). Might not be much of a problem but turbulence may trap some of that 1060 heat inside the case.

Stupid, I know, but you sure fans are positioned the right way and blowing air the way they should? Are they efficient at moving air? When you're at load check to see if the air from the exhaust fan is blowing air out at a decent pace or if it's trickling out.

Make sure your case fans run consistently. Once I set my case fans to increase speed when the CPU got warm but that was annoying as they'd ramp up every time the CPU had a job to do. Also noticed that when idle the exhaust fan was barely pushing any air out but the case was warm and the MB and PCH temps were high. I linked the case fans to the PCH temps instead, resulting in a consistent RPM, reducing noise as well as MB and PCH temps.

The fan speed peaks annoyed me too. As*for some reason the cpu step up and step down option didn't do what it was supposed to do, I also linked the PCH temperature to the fans. Thats when I noticed the high PCH Temp....

panzlock
Level 12
I just took a look at your case on my lunch break. I don't like the layout. Very compact inside and I don't feel you'll get good airflow. Here's a review showing the case cooling but that's with a blower GTX 570 VGA: https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/in-win-901-review/3/

Sift through this forum for more info. Maybe they say more about cooling performance of the case: http://www.overclock.net/t/1504372/in-win-901-case-owners-thread/20