cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of overclocking on the Maximus VIII Hero

Kaelon
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

Long-time ROG-fan, first-time Overclocker here! I have questions about the order in which I should be doing things, and would love your advice / perspectives.

1. I just installed 4x16 Gb G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3400s, and have them stable using XMP profile. After about 3.5 hours of MemTest86 v7.2 runs (about 2.5 passes so far), and 0 errors -- the stock XMP settings seem to have me stable, with a CPU at 4.009 Mhz and a CPU Temp at 45 degrees. Firstly, is that temperature fine, or should I be concerned that I spiked from 21 degrees at boot-up to 45 degrees after 3+ hours of MemTest?

2. Secondly, what should I be overclocking next? I was thinking of using EzMode (F7) in BIOS to Overclock the CPU, which according to BIOS, would target a 15% speed increase. Anything else I should read or research on before I attempt to go this route? What is the basic order you would recommend to get the most out of my build? (Please see my specs on the left-hand side postbit.)

Thanks!!
1 REPLY 1

RazerWaleed
Level 7
I'm also new but i did OC already after i read alot 😄

that works to using EZmod, i tried it as well and tried everything but i used below method and I'm happy with it. Most concrn should be keep an eye on the CPU voltage and the temp. my temp on current setup 4.5ghz 1.22v ( 61c) full load. ( idle 29-30c CPU package). for the order i dont know really what i did all the below setup at same time but you can take it step by step in case you find issues u can revert back and troubleshoot like start with XMP once ur ok move to CPU OC. .

1- enabled XMP
2- Change the multiplayer to 45 or whatever
3- Sit the VCORE to manually to avoid over heat as i understood and i saw in real life with my MB, asus will provide high voltage for me 1.3v to 1.4v. so wat i did i changed it from BIOS to 1.22v ( 1.264v in VCORE value using HWm software or CPU-Z)

not sure what ur CPU can handle so try higher voltage like 1.3v then keep reducing until u figure out where ur CPU stand without crash.

hope that's help, you can check the very first stick thread in this forum for OC guides.

PS: i never run stresstest for that long, better to play and use your PC normally. max i did stress test for 1min lol, i play bf1 and it crash like twice then i figured out the CPU VCORE I need is 1.22v . i dont know what is the reasons behind streesstest for that much of hrs... anyway, unless you are doing some kind of real work not for gaming like decoding or streaming or something.