Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build, Won't start, Max Extreme

plasma800
Level 7
Hi All,

I'm having an issue.

I put together a fresh build, and the mobo is giving me some errors, then stopped starting up.

When I first turned it on, the board gave a qcode of 99.

I took out the VGA card, and turned it back on, and I got a code of B6.

I reset the ram in A2 and B2, reset the power connectors the 24 pin and the 8 pin, and another code of 99.

I reset the cmos using the button on the back of the board and now it won't start at all, but the motherboard lights are on. but it won't start from the case button or the mobo button.

On each attempt I did get 1 long beep followed by 4 short beeps

List of hardware

Maximus VIII Extreme
Strix A8 1080
Corsair Vengenace LED Ram, 2x8 ddr4 3000
I7-6700
EK 360 Predator
Corsair HX850i PSU

Not sure where to turn next...
25 REPLIES 25

Nate152
Hi plasma800

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Do you have a monitor connected and do you have display ? If no display make sure your monitor is connected and the pcie power cables are connected to the gpu, you can try different monitor cables too.

If you have code 99 with display it's likely a usb device such as your keyboard.

Does anything here help ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi plasma800

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Do you have a monitor connected and do you have display ? If no display make sure your monitor is connected and the pcie power cables are connected to the gpu, you can try different monitor cables too.

If you have code 99 with display it's likely a usb device such as your keyboard.

Does anything here help ?

I connected the monitor through DVI with the onboard, and no graphics card in the slot. Never got any video. This is a brand new swift monitor and i used the DVI cable from the box. I think I have a PS2 keyboard somewhere I can try that.

Nate152
Ok, you have no display and you have a brand new monitor, nice !

My monitor just died on me recently and it gave me code 99 so I'm suspecting something with the monitor or the monitor cable.

A bios update might get you going too, you could try updating the bios with the bios flashback feature. If updating the bios doesn't help and you're just connecting to the onboard graphics then it has to be the monitor or monitor cable.

Would you by chance have another monitor to try ?

Chino
Level 15
plasma800 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm having an issue.

I put together a fresh build, and the mobo is giving me some errors, then stopped starting up.

When I first turned it on, the board gave a qcode of 99.

I took out the VGA card, and turned it back on, and I got a code of B6.

I reset the ram in A2 and B2, reset the power connectors the 24 pin and the 8 pin, and another code of 99.

I reset the cmos using the button on the back of the board and now it won't start at all, but the motherboard lights are on. but it won't start from the case button or the mobo button.

On each attempt I did get 1 long beep followed by 4 short beeps

List of hardware

Maximus VIII Extreme
Strix A8 1080
Corsair Vengenace LED Ram, 2x8 ddr4 3000
I7-6700
EK 360 Predator
Corsair HX850i PSU

Not sure where to turn next...

Remove your components from the case and test your system on the cardboard box that the motherboard came in. Use the bare minimum. See if the error still shows up. 🙂

Chino wrote:
Remove your components from the case and test your system on the cardboard box that the motherboard came in. Use the bare minimum. See if the error still shows up. 🙂

Should it be able to post without a cooler?

Ive done this in the case, removed the cpu fan plug, no ram, no hdd, no case connectors, speaker only... and still nothing.

I've also checked the pins on the chip and everything looks fantastic.

Nate152
With no ram you should get code 55 is this what you got ? If it was still stuck on code 99 try updating the bios.

You want a cooler on your cpu otherwise it will overheat and shut down.

You did install the motherboard stand offs correct?

Did you inspect the cpu socket for any bent pins when inspecting the cpu?

Nate152 wrote:
With no ram you should get code 55 is this what you got ? If it was still stuck on code 99 try updating the bios.

You want a cooler on your cpu otherwise it will overheat and shut down.

You did install the motherboard stand offs correct?

Which bios version should I try? The very latest? 2202?

Yeah the stands off are great, Im going to try on the box real quick

Nate152

Ok I pulled the mobo from the case, 1 stick of ram, cooler, 24 pin and 8 pin is all that's connected and still nothing.

Yes I did inspect the chip and socket and everything looks on the up and up there.

I just updated the bios, the led flashed as the manual stated, but i still get nothing. Also the reset button on the mobo should make the lights turn off and back on, but even that doesn't happen.