cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build - Interesting Results

iCeD00D
Level 7
Well sit back and enjoy the show! 😛

So just recently I bought a Max VIII from Amazon and it arrived Thursday. I went ahead and did my normal inspection and starting the build process. I was very impressed on how the board looked and felt. A heft (heavy) motherboard I might add. After the build, i decided to go ahead and do a benchmark and stress test but before I did that, I went into the Dual Intelligent Processor 5 software and used the auto function to do the OC. Once it was done I was surprised to find out that it OC'd my system to 20% which was surprising seeing that my last MB (that I had to RMA) was a Hero which the software OC'd to 15%. So once that finished I ran the RealBench / benchmark and passed without any problems. Next, I decided to run the RealBench / Stress test and that's where the problems started. no matter what time or amount of ram I selected, my system would lockup and crash. So I went into the bios this time and selected XMP which OC'd to .05%. Running the stress test now and it crashed already but after the 15min successful test. Anyone experience anything like this or can give me some tips as to where to troubleshoot? Tks

-------------- Specs ---------------

I7-6700K
G.Skill RipJaw V - 32G
EVGA GTX 980 (x2 - SLI)
Corsair AX 1200
DeepCool Genome H20 Case
Winblows 10x64
Bios - 1701
Asus ROG G751JY
45 REPLIES 45

iCeD00D
Level 7
Ok sounds good . Do you think we should still put the cpu core and cache ratios to 47? or stick with what we have. For now I'm a total old fart who plays D3 // FFXIV online and this week Doom . Do you know of any 'benchmarking' utilities that can mimic an intense gaming session like you mentioned?
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
Yes you can try the ratios at 47, squeeze out what you can with 1.45v.

Realbench is good to use but to get an indication of gaming temps, play the most demanding game you have, if you're at 64c or below you're good to go.

I posted some screenshots of what msi afterburner looks like with the onscreen display and cpu temps above, this is with my 6700k at 4.8GHz.

iCeD00D
Level 7
Awesome !!! Well tyvm for your time and help in the matter. Ill keep you posted throughout the week on how it goes. Plz let me know if there's anything I can do. People like you are what makes this community the best 🙂 .... Hopefully someone can find this thread useful in the future. thanks again ..
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
You're welcome, was fun and my pleasure assisting you 🙂

I'm very impressed you got both ram kits running at their rated specs with no additional tweaking and cpu overclocked to 4.6GHz for now.

I know it's 3:00 and wife says time to go, come back and give us an update at anytime on how things are going.

I will recommend installing msi afterburner and we can work on the onscreen display at another time.

iCeD00D
Level 7
interesting chain of events. So I received a new M2 SSD and decided to just reinstall WInBlows 10 Pro. After I was finished and rebooted, I got an error - Overclock fail - Boot into bios. So I did. I checked all the setting in the thread and it seems to be working except that now when HWInfo comes up, its showing CPU LFM Min - 800Mhz and CPU HFM Mat 4000MHz. Other interesting thing is that the CPU clock freq in AI3 shows 800Mhz - no more then 3000Mhz. Realbench still shows the ram at 1599.7Mhz - 32 16/16/16/36/2T but my score is way down. Did i muck something up ?
Asus ROG G751JY

Nate152
No you didn't mess anything up, if it's idling at 800MHz it's running in adaptive mode and throttling to conserve power. If it's still overclocked set the windows power plan to high performance and see if it puts the cpu at 4600MHz, the windows power plan likely is set to balanced doing a reinsall.

Check in HWInfo for the ram speed, if it's showing 1600MHz that is correct. DDR = Double data rate, 2 x 1600MHz = 3200MHz.

Personally I don't use ai suite, it doesn't give cpu core temps and running it with HWInfo will cause inaccuarate readings. I used ai suite for about a week 3 years ago, I uninstalled it and haven't used it since.