cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BIOS 1701

reupens
Level 7
Available for the Maximus VIII Hero and others.

Change log is just 'Improve system stability'.

Hero link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ASUS-1701.zip
82 REPLIES 82

I have Maximus Hero VIII and i just upgraded my bios 3 days ago from ver.1601 to ver.1701. The problem is, everytime i start my pc my bios doesn`t recognize my cpu fan, and there`s always "CPU_FAN speed error bla bla bla"
i`ve been experience that once, while im still using bios ver.1601, and i can fix that by setting it through AI Suite 3 (setting my fan manually). And in this ver.1701 while i try to setting via Ai Suite 3, there`s still "CPU_FAN speed error" message everytime i start my pc, even when i setting the fan at full speed. I already try to move the cpu fan header from CPU_fan to opt.CPU_fan, but still error for like 2 days.
Yesterday morning i just start my PC and then, voilla! there`s no more message, i can start my pc without any problem. I`m just like WTF is happening? this problem just randomly fix himself?
Can u guys help me here, where is the problem? BIOS bug? or?

My rig :
Mobo = Maximus Hero VIII
CPU cooler = Corsair H110i GTX

Thank you 🙂

Mike_NOR wrote:
That's the stupidest thing ever. ASUS makes the worst software. I'm so tired of it.

The Bios has issue.
ASUS GPU Tweak has issues.
The ASUS AI Suite 3 has so many ISSUES.

BTW, Chino, do you also lost your settings every time?

The BIOS does not have issues (any more then all the other brands), every time you upgrade/clear you always lose your settings. All overclocking software have their set of issues including all the other brands, it is why i tell everyone to use BIOS instead of software. People need to stop being lazy and depend on buggy software for everything, you need to read threads, watch videos and learn all you can before experimenting and doing something that can possibly kill your computer outright if not done properly 57381

Old saying - never blame your hardware, It's ALWAYS the user's fault.
CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

Let's take this slow so you can follow.

Kenrou wrote:

The BIOS does not have issues (any more then all the other brands)

Here's an issue I never seen before. I've reported it to ASUS but nothing has happen.
: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Kenrou]
every time you upgrade/clear you always lose your settings. All overclocking software have their set of issues including all the other brands

I never had issues with restoring settings on other boards (brands) if I had to. But most times I never lost settings in the first place. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself.

Kenrou wrote:

it is why i tell everyone to use BIOS instead of software.

What you really telling them is to use software instead of software seeing as a BIOS is software. Hehehe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

Kenrou wrote:

Old saying - never blame your hardware, It's ALWAYS the user's fault.

that's not a saying...

[QUOTE=Praz wrote:

Hello

The limit imposed of using saved settings across different BIOS versions is done to protect the less knowledgeable users from themselves. Based on your reply it seems you should be at the front of the line thanking ASUS for this constraint.

I never had issues with restoring settings on other boards (brands) if I had to. But most times I never lost settings in the first place. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself.

Mike_NOR wrote:
Let's take this slow so you can follow.

Here's an issue I never seen before. I've reported it to ASUS but nothing has happen.

What you really telling them is to use software instead of software seeing as a BIOS is software. Hehehe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

that's not a saying...

Ok lets take it even slower so YOU can follow :

I never had issues with restoring settings on other boards (brands) if I had to. But most times I never lost settings in the first place. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself. -> I have NEVER had a motherboard/BIOS that kept settings on a restore/upgrade and i have been doing this for over 15 years with MSI-ASUS-Gigabyte-Biostar and others, my advice was valid for all intents and purposes, stop being a fanboy, grow up and learn to read between the lines before embarrassing yourself with answers like these.

What you really telling them is to use software instead of software seeing as a BIOS is software. Hehehe. -> read above, you know damn well that i meant Windows software.

that's not a saying... -> heard dozens of so called IT Techs using it so if it isn't it should be by now.

and now for the only thing that actually deserved wasting my breath on -> Here's an issue I never seen before. I've reported it to ASUS but nothing has happen. -> You're actually surprised ? ASUS tech support is very well known for being slow, give it some more time, if they don't reply report it again.

Mike_NOR wrote:

A thread has officially deteriorated when someone claiming to be educated starts telling others in a rude manner to "go educate yourself". ASUS resets settings for good reason - not all settings from BIOS to BIOS are the same. If a user changes settings in the BIOS, that user should have no problem understanding navigation enough to manually re-enter those settings within a single minute. I do frequently. As for other brands keeping settings, MSI doesn't retain settings or profiles post update on a Z170 Xpower titanium. I use one daily and yes my M8H-A is a much better board.

AmirShred wrote:
A thread has officially deteriorated when someone claiming to be educated starts telling others in a rude manner to "go educate yourself". ASUS resets settings for good reason - not all settings from BIOS to BIOS are the same. If a user changes settings in the BIOS, that user should have no problem understanding navigation enough to manually re-enter those settings within a single minute. I do frequently. As for other brands keeping settings, MSI doesn't retain settings or profiles post update on a Z170 Xpower titanium. I use one daily and yes my M8H-A is a much better board.

+rep

Think i caught on a glitch of sorts but might be just Windows, have my rig 12h stable on Prime95 blend and Realbench (zero crashes so far), but x264/x265 coding is requiring voltage bump or freezes and requires reboot. Anyone caught the same ?

Kenrou wrote:
x264/x265 coding is requiring voltage bump or freezes and requires reboot. Anyone caught the same ?

Aaack... encoding. Handbrake, yes?

Nothing drives my M8H into higher temps and needing voltage bumps quite like Handbrake. As I set up my OC, I found hitting stable settings was easy for everything until it was time to run encoding tests. That's the final hump to get over. But once you're stable on extended encoding runs at voltages and temps you like, you should be all set. I won't declare my OC settings "stable" until I can run extended Handbrake encoding safely. You know you're close when encoding won't freeze the system, but just dumps out on an error without completing. Tweak a little more until it can finish, then test some more.

My current 24/7 I7-6700K setup is OC'd per-core up to 4.9GHz on two cores, 4.8 on three, and 4.7 at 100% on all four. That gets me max performance on games and routine CPU-bound operations without generating high CPU temps and needing more voltage than I'm comfortable with. 4.9GHz on all four is fine until I run Handbrake -- then it needs more voltage and I have to run LLC levels higher than I like, which puts CPU temp spikes to 80C and above. Letting it throttle back gracefully keeps temps in the 60's with occasional runs into the 70's, and middle-range VDROOP to keep voltage spikes well under control. I might tweak and try raising it to 5.0 on two or three cores, but performance is so smooth now that I'm happy where it is and I've got plenty of other things to do.

To be honest, my encoding performance at 4.9GHz isn't significantly better than at 4.7. It wasn't worth the extra stress on my CPU. My most CPU-hungry gaming is Microsoft Flight Simulator X on ultra-high realism settings, and it can't hammer the CPU hard enough to trigger the step-down. So the setup is more than enough for 24/7 running and I don't have to make any changes if I have to do a Handbrake run for a while.

Try a similar step-down and see how it works for you.
Processor: I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3000 16GB
Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
Storage #1: 1TB Western Digital Black
Storage #2: 2TB Western Digital Black
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply: Antec Edge 650 80+ Gold

Eric_F wrote:
Aaack... encoding. Handbrake, yes?

Nothing drives my M8H into higher temps and needing voltage bumps quite like Handbrake. As I set up my OC, I found hitting stable settings was easy for everything until it was time to run encoding tests. That's the final hump to get over. But once you're stable on extended encoding runs at voltages and temps you like, you should be all set. I won't declare my OC settings "stable" until I can run extended Handbrake encoding safely. You know you're close when encoding won't freeze the system, but just dumps out on an error without completing. Tweak a little more until it can finish, then test some more.

My current 24/7 I7-6700K setup is OC'd per-core up to 4.9GHz on two cores, 4.8 on three, and 4.7 at 100% on all four. That gets me max performance on games and routine CPU-bound operations without generating high CPU temps and needing more voltage than I'm comfortable with. 4.9GHz on all four is fine until I run Handbrake -- then it needs more voltage and I have to run LLC levels higher than I like, which puts CPU temp spikes to 80C and above. Letting it throttle back gracefully keeps temps in the 60's with occasional runs into the 70's, and middle-range VDROOP to keep voltage spikes well under control. I might tweak and try raising it to 5.0 on two or three cores, but performance is so smooth now that I'm happy where it is and I've got plenty of other things to do.

To be honest, my encoding performance at 4.9GHz isn't significantly better than at 4.7. It wasn't worth the extra stress on my CPU. My most CPU-hungry gaming is Microsoft Flight Simulator X on ultra-high realism settings, and it can't hammer the CPU hard enough to trigger the step-down. So the setup is more than enough for 24/7 running and I don't have to make any changes if I have to do a Handbrake run for a while.

Try a similar step-down and see how it works for you.

Handrake and a new specifically for x265 called "Internet Friendly Media Encoder", my 4.8ghz is struggling, probably need to bump it to 1.4v to get it 100% stable but think would rather keep it at 4.7ghz 1.33v temp-wise. Does cache/uncore have any significant gains on encoding ? still have mine at 4.1ghz stock.

https://x265.github.io

Mike_NOR wrote:
That's the stupidest thing ever. ASUS makes the worst software. I'm so tired of it.

Hello

The limit imposed of using saved settings across different BIOS versions is done to protect the less knowledgeable users from themselves. Based on your reply it seems you should be at the front of the line thanking ASUS for this constraint.

Praz wrote:
Hello

I never had issues with restoring setting with other boards (brands) so educate yourself.