cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MB won't post - q code 2C

lukehall
Level 8
Hi everyone,

My Maximus Viii has been working well since new in April, until now...

Out of the blue the MB won't post, getting stuck at 2C which according to the manual is memory initialisation.
I have methodically excluded other hardware, plugins and anything I can think off to try and isolate the problem, but nothing has changed.

I have tried replacement brand new memory modules, alternative memory slots, none of which has helped. The clear cmos button didn't fix it either. I have also tried booting with all memory removed, which predictably just produced a 53 code instead!

I'm now at the stage where I'm booting it on the bench with nothing but a CPU and memory plugged in and still I just get 2C.

Is there anything else I can try before throwing it in the trash? I'm getting a bit desperate as I'm a self employed web developer working from home, and without my PC, I can't work.:(*

Thanks... Yours hopefully,

Luke*
6 REPLIES 6

AbyXzss
Level 7
Same Exact Issue and manifestatons but has a q code of 13 to my MF8 and ended up on sending it back in for RMA 😞
The link below is the exact post I made, Hope that will help any realizations or conclusions you had on your issue as to what next procedure or process you will take.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88625-MF8-does-not-boot-to-BIOS

JustinThyme
Level 13
lukehall wrote:
Hi everyone,

My Maximus Viii has been working well since new in April, until now...

Out of the blue the MB won't post, getting stuck at 2C which according to the manual is memory initialisation.
I have methodically excluded other hardware, plugins and anything I can think off to try and isolate the problem, but nothing has changed.

I have tried replacement brand new memory modules, alternative memory slots, none of which has helped. The clear cmos button didn't fix it either. I have also tried booting with all memory removed, which predictably just produced a 53 code instead!

I'm now at the stage where I'm booting it on the bench with nothing but a CPU and memory plugged in and still I just get 2C.

Is there anything else I can try before throwing it in the trash? I'm getting a bit desperate as I'm a self employed web developer working from home, and without my PC, I can't work.:(*

Thanks... Yours hopefully,

Luke*

Assuming your BIOS is set up correctly with an f5. I see you cleared CMOS but that doesnt mean everything is set correctly.

Is your RAM in the approved vendors list?

What sticks are you using? Brand? Speed? DDR4?

Is everything in the BIOS set to auto for the RAM?

Have you tried one stick at a time in one slot at a time starting with A2?

Did you try the Mem OK button?

What CPU?

On initial boot after hardware change it often takes a minute or two for the hardware to be configured.

Memory initialzation doesnt mean its a memory problem. It means it trying to initialize it and if it hangs there and wont go further one of the things mentioned above is the most likely culprit.

Whenever you post up for help its best to include as much of your system specs as possible. ASUS boards are finicky on what memory modules they will work well with if at all. Just because it worked before doesnt mean it will continue to work. They have compiled a huge list of approved vendors and sticks that have been tested and verified to work. Always choose from that list, otherwise its a gamble.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Assuming your BIOS is set up correctly with an f5. I see you cleared CMOS but that doesnt mean everything is set correctly.

Is your RAM in the approved vendors list?

What sticks are you using? Brand? Speed? DDR4?

Is everything in the BIOS set to auto for the RAM?

Have you tried one stick at a time in one slot at a time starting with A2?

Did you try the Mem OK button?

What CPU?

On initial boot after hardware change it often takes a minute or two for the hardware to be configured.

Memory initialzation doesnt mean its a memory problem. It means it trying to initialize it and if it hangs there and wont go further one of the things mentioned above is the most likely culprit.

Whenever you post up for help its best to include as much of your system specs as possible. ASUS boards are finicky on what memory modules they will work well with if at all. Just because it worked before doesn't mean it will continue to work. They have compiled a huge list of approved vendors and sticks that have been tested and verified to work. Always choose from that list, otherwise its a gamble.

Hi, thanks for your input.

The memory is Corsair memory, though I can't remember off the top of my head which it is, though I can assure you that it's on the approved vendor's list.
No configuration changes were made to the system before the problem occurred and the memory modules (and whole system) have been working properly for months prior to this.

The CPU is an i7 6700K and all of the BIOS settings are set at default and have not been changed. As you suggested, I have tried every combination in every memory slot bu the result is still the same each time. As I said before, even with just a CPU and memory module plugged in, with nothing else interacting with the board, it still stops immediately at q code 2C and goes no further. Use of the Mem OK button simply gets the board cycling from startup to the 2C error, where it pauses briefly, then starts again, but never getting past the 2C.

If I'd been fiddling or tweaking prior to the problem manifesting itself, I understand, or at least have something to go by. But remember, the system has been stable for quite some time and this has happened out of the blue. To be honest, it suggests to me that something has failed on the board...

Are there any other "last ditch" actions I can take to reset or something before I assume it's junk?

Best wishes,

Luke

Chino wrote:
Have you examined the CPU socket for bent or missing pins?

Yes, I have and it all looks ok. Besides, there is no 00 code on boot, so I guess it's happy with the CPU installation...

😄

In a last ditch attempt, tried the BIOS Flashback utility. It worked! 🙂
I guess the BIOS must have become corrupted somehow. Anyway, thanks for all of your input/help.

Best wishes,

Luke