cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Ranger Onboard Microphone Whine

JustinSane
Level 7
I recently upgraded to this mobo and I'm getting a really bad buzzing/whine noise coming through my microphone over the onboard sound. On my dedicated soundcard (PCI X-Fi Fatal1ty) I did not have this issue at all, my mic was pretty perfect. This is what it sounds like - http://vocaroo.com/i/s1MGYkG35pvo

What could cause this? Does anyone else with this board have this issue? I've tried the front microphone port and back microphone port, same issue.
6 REPLIES 6

Gordo314
Level 7
JustinSane wrote:
I recently upgraded to this mobo and I'm getting a really bad buzzing/whine noise coming through my microphone over the onboard sound. On my dedicated soundcard (PCI X-Fi Fatal1ty) I did not have this issue at all, my mic was pretty perfect. This is what it sounds like - http://vocaroo.com/i/s1MGYkG35pvo

What could cause this? Does anyone else with this board have this issue? I've tried the front microphone port and back microphone port, same issue.

Samme issue here.
But i dont have other sound card for test.

Same issue on my side.

Tried different microphones its always the same noise as posted in #1. On my old/2nd PC with a dedicated Creative Soundcard none oof the microphones produces the same sound, so the Problem is on the Mainboard.

Does ASUS plan to fix this? Hopefully via driver update?

Same issue here!

No solution from Asus?

Same, brand new Ranger board.....all kinds of audio issues. I just deleted everything and use Windows. Might try the old audio stuff off the DVD instead of current drivers/software.

I also have a brand new board, flashed to 2001, and experience the same issue. In addition, I find that when my mic is plugged into the pink audio jack at the rear, the Sonic Suite II control panel does not want to open. As soon as I remove the mic, of which I have tested two, I can open said control panel again and change the playback settings for my speakers/headphone (but not for any mic).

Update. I have been able to eliminate the buzzing noise on my mic and pinpoint the problem with Sonic Studio II not running when I connect a mic.

I rolled back to the original driver that shipped with motherboard on the CD. With this I can open Sonic Studio II after I have connected a mic. Tested on the pink audio jack at the rear. There is also no buzzing.

When I update to the latest driver, version 6.0.1.7829, the buzzing returns and Sonic Suite II fails to run when I connect a mic. I first have to disconnect the mic or disable it in Windows for Sonic Studio II to run where after I can connect a mic and settings can be changed in Sonic Suite II. Closing Sonic Suite II results in the process having to be repeated. If a mic is disconnected or disabled in Windows Sonic Suite II will always run as per normal.

Yesterday I immediately installed the version 6.0.1.7829 driver when I encountered the problems. I now know that the shipping driver eliminates these problems, but I don't know how any of the driver updates in between behave.

What I do know is that with the shipping driver changing any of the Studio Sonic II settings/profiles made absolutely no difference to listening to music for example. However the latest driver corrects this for me except it introduces the buzzing sound and mic detection problem for Sonic Suite II.