cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus viii hero alpha built-in wireless adapter not detected anymore

smackey
Level 7
i just recently build a new rig, everything seems to fine after the initial windows 10 pro installation. But today i updated windows 10 and after resuming my computer from sleep i noticed that my wireless connection is not working. So i went to device manager and found out that the built-in wifi adapter is not detected anymore. i tried reinstalling the os and drivers but it's just not getting detected. The only network connection showing is the bluetooth and ethernet adapter. i also upgraded the bios from 0205 version into 1504 version prior to this problem. Another problem that showed up is everytime i shutdown the computer, it will just restart again. i need to manually press the power button to shutdown. Is my motherboard defective? Any help is appreciated. thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Chino
Level 15
Try this.

1. Disable it.
2. Go into Windows.
3. Shut down your system.
4. Clear your CMOS.
5. Boot back into Windows and see if it shows up.

I assume you've connected the antennas to the motherboard, correct?

Chino wrote:
Try this.

1. Disable it.
2. Go into Windows.
4. Clear your CMOS.

It finally worked. You save me a ton of headache sending it back to newegg. Thank you so much.

Thank you Chino! I bought a Maximus VIII Impact over the weekend and I was beating my head against a wall trying to figure out why the BT and Wifi wasn't working.

In my case the devices weren't showing up at all in device manager. What I had to do (after updating to the latest BIOS) was disable the devices in the BIOS, reboot, then clear the CMOS. It all appeared in device manager after doing that.

Chino wrote:
Try this.

1. Disable it.
2. Go into Windows.
4. Clear your CMOS.

smackey
Level 7
how do i clear cmos? remove the battery?
yes the antenna is connected to the motherboard.

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
I speak from experience when I say that it's a Windows issue. After first installing Windows I found that the wireless adaptor was present to start with and later disappeared as I added more software/drivers. What I was'nt sure about was at what point the adaptor went AWOL. Anyhow after a lot of head scratching and troubleshooting I decided to reinstall Windows making note at what point the adaptor was present and what might be the cause of it going missing. Unfortunately for you I can't say what fixed the problem other than that it is working now and all drivers are installed and Windows is fully up to date.

One thing that I did briefly find and may work for you is that the wireless adaptor appeared again following a complete shutdown of the system and removal of the power from the wall socket. It's worth a try first of all.

My system is almost identical to yours and my experience was the same, I.e. the adaptor is enabled in the BIOS but does not appear at all in Windows Device Manager. There are no unrecognised devices listed. I suspected that it was being incorrectly identified as something else, I can't remember what now but seem to recall having too many comm type devices. Sorry I can't be of more use.

It may help to know that under the Network Devices list in Device Manager I have the following.....
Bluetooth Device ( Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adaptor

Maybe you can spot what is wrong in your own Device list and manually update the driver to save having to reinstall Windows?

yes i have the exact same network devices list in the device manager except the qualcomm atheros adapter was missing. But Chino's advice fixed it and everything is showing now. 😉

Code_Frenzy wrote:
I speak from experience when I say that it's a Windows issue. After first installing Windows I found that the wireless adaptor was present to start with and later disappeared as I added more software/drivers. What I was'nt sure about was at what point the adaptor went AWOL. Anyhow after a lot of head scratching and troubleshooting I decided to reinstall Windows making note at what point the adaptor was present and what might be the cause of it going missing. Unfortunately for you I can't say what fixed the problem other than that it is working now and all drivers are installed and Windows is fully up to date.

One thing that I did briefly find and may work for you is that the wireless adaptor appeared again following a complete shutdown of the system and removal of the power from the wall socket. It's worth a try first of all.

My system is almost identical to yours and my experience was the same, I.e. the adaptor is enabled in the BIOS but does not appear at all in Windows Device Manager. There are no unrecognised devices listed. I suspected that it was being incorrectly identified as something else, I can't remember what now but seem to recall having too many comm type devices. Sorry I can't be of more use.

It may help to know that under the Network Devices list in Device Manager I have the following.....
Bluetooth Device ( Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adaptor

Maybe you can spot what is wrong in your own Device list and manually update the driver to save having to reinstall Windows?

Holy crap, after a month of trying everything known to man without resetting my CMOS, which was next.. I shut down my PC and unplugged it for about 3 minutes.. Turned it back on and sweet jesus, the bluetooth is finally being recognized again.

Thank you so much for sharing your fix, even if it was vague, it helps.

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
Glad you've found a solution, looks like I was posting whilst you had already fixed it.

Well, crap. I had the exact same problem and did everything EXCEPT for disabling it and rebooting into Windows. Ended up RMAing the board and getting another one.

Thanks for the fix - it will save a ton of time and grief if it happens again.