cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero / 6700k Q Code 35, 00, CPU Q LED Wont POST

Blast3D
Level 7
Hello!

I am currently experiencing issues with my build (assembled at the end of August) not booting up at all (no POST, nothing as of now). Here are my specs.

• i7-6700k (no overclock)
  • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400)
  • Samsung evo 850 ssd (1TB)
  • EVGA 970 SC 4GB
  • Antec 750w Power Supply
  • Windows 10

Here is my breakdown of when the issue started and the events that took place after-

Up until yesterday (12/29), the PC was running beautifully. I had been using for 3D modeling, as well as gaming and streaming, and put hundreds of hours of use into it with no issues.

Yesterday, while playing a game and streaming through OBS, I went to alt-tab out of the game, when the PC suddenly froze. I was not monitoring temps or loads at the time, but usually, streaming and gaming will max out, or at least come close to maxing out CPU usage.

I restarted the PC, only to find that it would not POST. I saw the Q Code 35 (CPU post memory initialization) and did a bit of research online. I attempted to test with 1 stick of memory at at time, but would get the same error. After clearning CMOS, and utilizing the MemOK! button, I was able to get the PC to run through each stick of RAM, which came up with a text screen indicating that the memory was okay.

I also removed the cooler, and the CPU, resetting both on the mobo, after inspecting for damage/bent pins. The Graphics card was removed as well during all testing to eliminate it as an issue.

Another attempt actually saw the computer POST, and I was able to get into the BIOS. All settings were at default, and CPU temps were normal. XMP was not enabled, and RAM was running at a slower speed than 2800. I would restart with default settings, as well as XMP enabled, and would not get the PC to fully load windows. I finally ended up putting all 4 sticks of RAM back in for whatever reason, but after doing so, and another reboot, I was actually able to get to the windows login screen. I chalked it up to RAM that was not seated properly.

Everything seemed back to normal, so after about 30 mins I decided to load up a game and test it out. After playing 1 match of the new Battlefront (roughly 20 mins maybe?), the game began loading the next level during the post-match stats screen, when the PC hard-froze again, bluescreening ('machine_check_exception' error, most freezes showed this, often not restarting on its own, as the blue screen states it will). Restarting, I getting back into windows, but the computer was freezing just after a few mins of being in the OS.

I attempted to run through the same troubleshooting process as before, but ended up back with q code 35.

At some point, when restarting, mobo was only showing Q-Code 00 (not used), and the CPU Q-led is fully lit (steady, not flashing).

Finally, I disassembled the entire rig, having only the Mobo on a bench, with the CPU, heatsink/fan, 1 stick of RAM (in single-stick slot configuration, as per the manual) and necessary power leads plugged in from the power supply to eliminate as many possible points-of-failure as possible (including shorting out on the case). Currently, I am still showing code 00, and Q-LED for the CPU fully lit.

I am at a loss at this point, and am leaning towards the CPU being damaged, or the mobo is faulty. Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated, I am currently trying to decide if I should RMA the mobo, CPU, RAM, or some combination of the three. I have not had to RMA any PC parts in the past, so information regarding this (time frames, costs, etc) would be greatly appreciated as well.

I apologize for such a long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible in my description of the issues and my troubleshooting.
Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

Went and updated to 1102 last night from 0214, I will try and update to the most recent BIOS next. I am actually going to do a complete reformat to reset everything back to default, just finished backing up my important files. Thank you Chino and everyone who had replied with assistance, this forum is a great asset to ROG users 🙂

Blast3D wrote:
Went and updated to 1102 last night from 0214, I will try and update to the most recent BIOS next. I am actually going to do a complete reformat to reset everything back to default, just finished backing up my important files. Thank you Chino and everyone who had replied with assistance, this forum is a great asset to ROG users 🙂

So do you believe the issue was the CPU or AI suite? I remembered on the Hero months ago when i tried it, AI Suite caused so many issues. Without it, those issues stopped happening.

Also, do you get any sound issues? What audio drivers are you using?
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Menthol
Level 14
Yes you should update the bios to the latest version, check to see if all ASUS software has been removed then use CCleaner to clean the registry of any leftover registry entries
Although 1.4 volts won't hurt your CPU as long as your CPU temps are OK, less than 80 degrees under load, it doesn't require that much voltage for default speeds
But if voltage settings are left on Auto the board will usually set voltages a little higher than needed as Auto settings are set to compensate for any and all CPU's some may need more than others
Once you have everything stable then if you want to install AISuite or other ASUS software, Install one program at a time so if there are issues it will be easier to troubleshoot