cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Gene QCodes 99 and d6

torrmercury
Level 7
Hi all!

This is the first time I've put together a computer using a mobo with QCodes and the machine isn't booting up, so I thought I'd ask for some help from the lovely people here. 🙂

So my build:
CPU: i5 6600 - Kraken X40 Liquid Cooling
Mobo: Maximus VIII Gene
Ram: GSkill 2x8GB 2333hz
SSD: Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 3 TB
GPU: Radeon HD7870
PSU: Seasonic 520W Fanless

So the thing is, once I turn on power, it will go through a sequence of QCodes (which I've heard is normal) before getting stuck on 99. However, while trying to get it working I also tried using the onboard video HDMI as well as Display Port and that produces a d6 rather than the 99.

I've reseated everything multiple times and have tried with 1 or 2 sticks of RAM in pretty much all configurations.

Note that everything was in an ASUS Z170M-PLUS until recently, when I got the Maximus Gene. Everything worked just fine in the Z170, and I've tried to put everything back into it, but now that won't boot either. 😞

Any ideas?

Many thank yous ahead of time!
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi torrmercury

welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you tried clearing the cmos and a bios update?

Code 99 - d6 can be either the gpu area, (gpu, monitor cable, monitor) or can be caused by a usb device.

You could try another mouse and keyboard if you have one and disconnect all other usb devices.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi torrmercury

welcome to the ROG forum.

Have you tried clearing the cmos and a bios update?

Code 99 - d6 can be either the gpu area, (gpu, monitor cable, monitor) or can be caused by a usb device.

You could try another mouse and keyboard if you have one and disconnect all other usb devices.

Hey Nate, thanks for the response! I've tried clearing cmos and I can't get a bios flashback to work. I formatted the usb drive into FAT32, named the .cap as M8G.CAP, and put it into the right slot, but no dice. Any ideas?

I tried without my keyboard and mouse, but got the same codes. I thought it might be my monitor so I'll see if I can swap mine for another one this weekend. I don't think it's the cable because I tried with both display port as well as HDMI.

So either that or it's my GPU. I've been planning on getting the GTX1080, so this might take a while to solve if it does turn out to be the GPU.

Anyways, thanks again for the response!

Nate152
You're welcome

You've done it correctly by formatting your usb flashdrive to FAT32 and renaming the bios file to M8G.CAP

Since it doesn't boot with your 7870 or the onboard graphics double check your monitor is working.

Here is a guide you can follow just to be sure you did the bios update procedure correctly, it's been known not to work with some usb flash drives or older ones.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

I tried with 3 different USB drives, but they're all fairly old, relatively speaking (2+ years). Does USB2 or 3 matter in this situation? Cause one of those is a USB3 and still no avail.

Maybe I should just pick up a new one and try with that?

Also my monitor definitely works. I've still been using it with my laptop while the PC has been out of commission.

I'll still check with a different monitor once I can go to my parent's house and grab one of the monitors I have stashed there.

On another note, my monitor flickers when the 99 code is there (GPU installed). Do you think that has anything to do with anything?

Update: I tried the BIOS Flashback in a couple of different usb slots and one of the other slots is allowing the flashback to happen.No idea why it workde in a different USB slot, but I ain't complaining. Will test boot once it's done. Wish me luck!

Update 2: Well on the bright side, the 99 and d6 error codes are no longer an issue! On the no so bright side, it's now stuck on A0. Which mean IDE Initialization is Started. I'll do some digging after I get some work stuff done and see if I can't figure out what's going on. 🙂

Update 3: Oh hey! A0 means that it's working! Huzza! Now if only my monitor would actually display an output...

Update 4: And the HDMI wire is busted! Display Port is working just fine, so everything is a gogo! Hurray!

Nate152
Hey great to hear you got it working !

The ROG connect port is the (usb) port you want to use when updating the bios.

Code AO = Everything is AO K and working like it should. 🙂