cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Extreme & Samsung 950 M.2

thboyes
Level 7
I didn't have any issues getting the Samsung 950 to be seen by the system, but it seems to be running slowly. I also have an 850 in the same machine, and it runs about the same speed.

BIOS settings? I'm not sure what to do. Top results are the 950, bottom is the 850.

Thanks,
thboyes

17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15
According to Samsung's website, the Sequential Read and Sequential Write speed for the 256GB should be around 2,200 MB/sec and 900 MB/sec. So as far as sequential speed goes, your drive is working fine. But your IOPS are way too low though. Are you using a fresh copy of Windows?

Also take into consideration that if you're transferring files from one drive to another, your speed will be limited by the slowest drive.

I get the slow transfer between drives, but the benchmark seems way too low.

I did a new install of Windows 10 Enterprise, and the benchmark was the same before loading the Samsung NVMe driver.

here is how my 850 EVO SSD is set, maybe will help you:

I also have an old SSD from Corsair that has crap numbers when reading:

thboyes
Level 7
My "OS Optimization" is greyed-out... Maybe that's part of the problem.

I seem to have a similar issue.
My setup:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER, BIOS 1701
And the samsung 950 pro 256GB in the m.2 slot.
Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

First time I installed win 10, I didn't use secure boot. Performance on the 950 was horrible.
Did a new install to enable secure-boot, and see if 950 performance changed.
It did, and I got normal scores in Samsung Magican performance test.

Now suddenly today, after installing windows updates, performance is horrible again. I've not done any changes in BIOS since I installed windows.
Sequental read and write is perfectly fine, however Random read and write is horrible.
Random read is 31500 IOPS and write 30000 IOPS.
Test done 24. april were 193000 read and 82000 write.

Got latest firmware on the SSD, and running Samsung NVME Controller driver 1.4.7.17.
In Samsung Magician PCIe Slot states: Link Speed Current: 10Gbps, Max:10Gbps. Link width Current :x4, Max :x4

iCeD00D
Level 7
Hmm now you guys are making me nervous cause going to use the same HD here tonight !!! >.<
Asus ROG G751JY

iCeD00D
Level 7
Update - Installed the HD and man I am very pleased with the results. Fast boot times and load times on applications.
Asus ROG G751JY

Legolas
Level 9
Check your speed with CrystalDiskMark
Samsung software only test single tread for random.
For example:

Random Read is 1116MB/s.

To convert that to IOPS, you do

(1116 / 4) * 1024

279 * 1024

285,696 IOPS
Sincerely,
Legolas