cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M8H - Maximus VIII Hero with i7-7700k - Where to start?

CraigT
Level 7
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while, whilst saving for the last few components for my new PC.
But I have finally got all the pieces (at least I hope I have) so now I have to start putting it all together and make it work.
I like to do things right the first time, so I am looking for a bit of advice on the best way to flash the BIOS - as it will need an update to run the i7-7700k.

I have no other compatible processor to go in the Maximus VIII Hero, so do I:
a) Connect up my PSU, monitor, keyboard and mouse and try to flash BIOS from my memory stick with the latest BIOS on. (using no CPU or RAM)
b) Install the i7-7700k CPU, RAM and everything else then try to flash the BIOS (again from USB)

From my lurkings, I have read of issues with the current BIOS AND the previous one. Which BIOS version would you recommend?

Installing Windows 10 should be pretty straightforward but does anyone have a recommended/preferred order to install the drivers? I usually start with the chipset drivers, then work down device mangler.

Many thanks,

Craig
7 REPLIES 7

Frosty65
Level 7
Same questions here as I too have got my parts and raring to go

JustinThyme
Level 13
While I dont understand buying last generations board with this generations processor partial support can be had with some Z170s. I was not as fortunate. 7700K just refused to run in my M8E nor did the BIOS that was supposed to support it. It clocks along just fine with a 6700K. My fist advice is if a new build to return the M8H and get a M9 Z270 board that was designed for the 7700K.

That being said.
The boards were designed with the flash back feature. All you need is a PSU, and the BIOS correctly name to M8H.CAP on a small capacity USB formatted with fat32. Nothing else on the USB but the BIOS file. If Im doing a new build I do all of this then CPU and RAM etc and install the OS with the MOBO sitting on the box so if there are problems I didnt waste all the time of assembly and wire management etc. Put the USB in the correct USB slot in the back I/O. Connect the PSU and turn it on then puch and hold the MOBO connect button also on the back I/O for 3 seconds. The button should then begin flashing blue and continue flashing blue for a minute or so. If it starts then stops right away there is a problem, either USB not formatted correctly, file not named correctly, or not in the correct I/O port.

Right from your manual page 70

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
While I dont understand buying last generations board with this generations processor partial support can be had with some Z170s. I was not as fortunate. 7700K just refused to run in my M8E nor did the BIOS that was supposed to support it. It clocks along just fine with a 6700K. My fist advice is if a new build to return the M8H and get a M9 Z270 board that was designed for the 7700K.

I completely agree, I would rather have a Z270 board. Unfortunately I had to buy the parts bit by bit, I picked up this (very well specced) board about 4 months ago on a very good deal, in the meantime Intel released the 7gen processors so once Asus declared they would support the latest processor I decided to get that as it was roughly the same price.
At the moment I have my new Corsair RM550x plugged in (2 plugs) as well as a mouse, keyboard and onboard HDMI. The board lights up but I am not getting anything on screen! *Worried why there is no output. Not sure what to do next, so might try and flash the BIOS. Then might try to add the cpu, memory etc.

Thanks for the instructions, I do have the manual with me but it doesn't detail what needs to be connected up to get a video output.
Craig*

Menthol
Level 14
CraigT,
You will not have any display without a CPU and memory installed , the Intel integrated GPU is on the CPU not the motherboard
you can check what bios version your motherboard shipped with by checking the sticker on your board, usually on the very top of the board, check ASUS support page for bios/CPU support and use the bios flashback method to flash your bios if needed as JustinThyme suggests to support KabyLake and enjoy your system, it is quite easy

OldMike65
Level 8
Just for added information, I have the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA (Z170) with the latest bios 3401 installed, with the Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU. I have had No problems overclocking this chip, no issues what so ever. I can run the 7700k at 5.0GHz also, with no problems. I run it at 4.9 most of the time. I am running Windows 10 Pro. Not sure what the difference is between our 2 mb's , but they should be almost the same I would think. You do NEED the latest bios installed 3401 <----
Mike...:)

Thanks for everyone's input, I am writing my reply from the new build!

My suggestions for others in a similar situation to me:

* Connect the PSU to the motherboard (24 pin and 8 pin) to make sure you get power to the board - the logo lights up, the start and reset buttons glow and there are some other random backlights but there will be no q-code, no status leds, no lights on your RAM
* You will have to power down the PSU to shutdown the motherboard
* Download the latest (or recommended) BIOS unzip to get the .cap file, copy to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick (on another computer)
* Insert USB into the bottom left USB socket and press the BIOS update button alongside it, it will start flashing
* After about 5-10 minutes the flashing will stop and the new BIOS should have been installed
* Power off, remove USB
* Now insert the CPU, paste, cooler and RAM. Connect up the fans and HDMI (other video ports may work)
* Power up again and you should get the logo and be able to access the BIOS
* I then shut down again, connected my M.2 SSD and rebooted to check if it was recognised (found it mentioned in the Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration IIRC)
* I then shut down and installed everything into my case and re-connected it all back up.
* Booted from a Windows 10 bootable USB drive (made earlier from my old computer) and installed Windows.

Hope this helps someone else

Craig

Thanks to Justin for the flashing advice; Menthol for the reassurance the setup wasn't broke and the answer to why I wasn't getting anything on the screen; Mike for the overclocking info.

Good luck Frosty!

Craig