cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2 SSD Suggestion

iCeD00D
Level 7
I've just received a Maximus VIII Formula and wanted to know from the community if getting a M2 SSD is really worth it? I'm using this box for gaming and streaming.
I have 2 SSDs for OS / Games and a HDD for storage. Thanks..

v/r
Scott
Asus ROG G751JY
7 REPLIES 7

wcryan
Level 7
ill let you know in about 24 hours

iCeD00D
Level 7
Thanks for the quick reply and let me know what you think @Wcryan ..
Asus ROG G751JY

iCeD00D wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply and let me know what you think @Wcryan ..

Will do. My computer is built but I finished it at about 11PM at night and I had work the next morning so I gave up on installing my OS. Per statistics it seems like the samsung 950 pro is one of the top rated even over the intel 750.

iCeD00D
Level 7
Nice - NewEgg has one for $180 / 256GB .....
Asus ROG G751JY

If speed and responsiveness is a concern, I'd recommend it. I bought the Hyper X Predator for my new build. It's not the fastest M.2, but it is PCIe2 x4 so is very fast nonetheless.

After POST, Windows is up in mere seconds. Apps load as fast as I can click them. Very responsive having system partition on the M.2.

My damn HDD light is always on with the M.2 installed though, both the board and case LED. Not sure if it's a bug with my board or normal behavior. Something to consider...

Nutt_cracker
Level 7
My 2 cents:
For gaming: You will hardly notice any difference between a modern SATA SSD or current M.2 SSD.
For streaming: Streaming of what ? But streamings says it all, it isn't loaded all at once but frame for frame. Usually a HDD will even be enough.

Current M/U.2 SSD is only good for benchmarking and showing off the scores.
But Future M/U.2 SSD is not limited by SATA and when we reach the point that it's so fast that PCI-E is the bottleneck, then you probably will notice the performance.