Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kaby Lake 7700K on Z170

claudej
Level 7
Hi,
Just upgraded from 6600K to 7700K.
(I believe I saw some improvement, snappier ? I wasn't expecting much)

But I have some questions,
- before, I ran my DDR4 in auto at 2133 because it didn't seem to matter. Now the 7700K is more of a 2400, so does it make sense to run it at 2400 or is the rule made by Z170 and it stays 2133 ? (or do you insist on XMP (3000) ?)
- AI Suite shows cpu frequency 4400MHZ maximum, I believe. I understand 1 core 4500, 2 or more cores 4400. So am I stuck at max 4400 ?
(my actual bios settings are mostly auto, cores probably synced)
- I did some Prime95 runs. I did get temperatures of 80 to 90° depending on where I look. I got 1 worker stopping du to an error.
It seems my system isn't up to Prime95 :). I even got my screen go black at some point but my computer still running...? but no big deal, after a clean reboot it was ok.

I also seem to get some new light coil whine during benchmarking ? a ghost ? (might be GPU's fault)

Thanks,
14 REPLIES 14

claudej
Level 7
Hi guys,
Once every year I get restless and wonder if it could go better...
And I've got that weird behaviour,
I reset my Bios, I run the Intel XTU benchmark, my CPU Temp rises to max 100° and throttles.
I change LLC from Auto to 1 as I had before.
Nothing changes, I run the Intel XTU benchmark, my CPU Temp rises to max 100° and throttles.
Than I change to adaptative Vcore 1.24V -0.03V.
I run the Intel XTU benchmark, my CPU Temp rises to max 87° and it's fine. The IXTU utility shows Vcore 1.2V and 1.235V while benchmarking.
Than I change the adaptative Voltages to improve further but everything stays the same from then on :
my CPU Temp rises to max 87° and it's fine. The IXTU utility shows Vcore 1.2V or 1.235V while benchmarking.
It seems I only get those 2 scenarios.

Nate152
LLC helps control voltage droop.

With LLC at lower levels your cpu voltage under load may be lower than what you're setting in the bios and you may run into instability, at level 7 the voltage will overshoot what you're setting.

Watch what the voltage is going to under load and check that it's at or close to what you're setting in the bios. Adjusting LLC can help with this as well as using an offset voltage.

Generally, LLC at level 5-6 gives the best results.

claudej
Level 7
Yeah, I've understood LLC,
And I understand my situation is difficult to grasp and probably not very interesting.

But thing is, my system doesn't seem to follow my Bios settings.
My system seems to expirience only 2 states.

Nate152
Try a negative offset of -0.040v.

The cpu voltage should now show a maximum of 1.20v when running XTU.

Is it still stable with a negative offset of -0.040v ?

claudej
Level 7
Done,
Yes stable,
I believe, nothing changed.
On 2nd picture you see IXTU after Benchmark, corner right 1.235V and Adaptative Default 0V...