cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible memory - Asus Maximus Series boards

xMolchy
Level 7
What issues can this bring to the system?

I just sow that memory i use in my new system is not compatible with Asus Impact VIII.
Memory i use is 2 x 8 GB Corsair (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16) 2666 Mhz.

Can memory cause this issues:
- USB 3.0 not working
- Windows Reboot and Shutdown issue

Any expert reply would be appreciated and personal experience ... ?

Also to know is that in BIOS memory is detected normally ... all 16 GB and specified frequency.
When XMP boost enabled 2666 without XMP 2133 ... also i think that if i enable XMP that Windows Reboot starts making issues ...
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Don't expect memory above 2133MHz to be plug-n-play. Most of the time manual tweaking is required.

I sow that i made double post ... first one i did not expect to be shown because there was site error.

I just tested restart, shutdown with XMP - ON - OFF, and shutdown works ok (Windows Fix was applied in Power Management) only restart does not work correctly and PC stop on Q-Code=05.

But can it be that USB 3 pan drives does not work because memory is not on compatible list ? I build ed 3 PCs till now and never look at compatible list for memory and all worked fine and 100 %.

Chino wrote:
Don't expect memory above 2133MHz to be plug-n-play. Most of the time manual tweaking is required.

May I ask? Do you mean tweaking will be required to achieve the speed for which the sticks are rated? Or do you mean that the memory will not function at all without tweaking? I ask because I was very careful to order memory from the qualified vendors list but they are 2666 sticks. I was hoping they would be plug and play. That's why I selected memory from the list.

Chino
Level 15
I doubt it. Your USB problem is probably caused by something else. And the fact that you saw sparks is not a good idea.

Chino wrote:
I doubt it. Your USB problem is probably caused by something else. And the fact that you saw sparks is not a good idea.

Yea i think BIOS or Drivers not ready for this motherboard ... Wrote to Corsair they told me DRAM is compatible and should not be an issue (Asus
support told me to check DRAM compatibility ).

Maybe BIOS setting i missed?
The port that i got sparks is working fine and detecting USB 2.0 Pan drives normally. Maybe got static on me and boom ...

More then install latest BIOS, drivers ... windows i can not do.

😉 I know sparks are bad good thing this board has protection against it 😉 USB port still works

Chino
Level 15
It can go either way and it depends a lot on the quality of the CPU. On some CPUs, you can get away with just enabling XMP. On others, you might need to modify a few voltages.

Chino wrote:
It can go either way and it depends a lot on the quality of the CPU. On some CPUs, you can get away with just enabling XMP. On others, you might need to modify a few voltages.

Thank you for the reply. Is there a tutorial you could refer me to for properly setting the voltages on my memory? For reference I have ordered parts to closely resemble this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzND3Hyk7I

Barbara917 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. Is there a tutorial you could refer me to for properly setting the voltages on my memory? For reference I have ordered parts to closely resemble this system.

Maybe you should get parts first 😉 try turning on XMP and see ... For me was memory plug and play just enable XMP in BIOS to get 2666 Mhz from 2133 ...

Barbara917 wrote:

OK. Thanks. My parts are on order so in the meantime I have just been educating myself on building on Z170 platform. I will try it and see what happens. I have built before but I don't have much experience overclocking so I like to read forums like this to get tips.