cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in troubleshooting a stutter when playing Youtube videos - Need Ideas

bahamut458
Level 7
I'm looking for ideas on troubleshooting a stutter that I see when watching videos online. It's pretty sporadic but I usually get a blip in audio/video that lasts less than half a second every ~10 minutes.

System:
Z170 hero
g.skill ddr4 @ 2800
Intel 750

Bios 0802
Newest Chipset, Audio, NVME, AI suite drivers installed.

Bios is pretty standard other than XMP for the memory and CSM settings for the SSD. Memtest shows the memory with no errors.

Any ideas?
28 REPLIES 28

I had the same issue...

Head into Device Manager, Properties of Network Card.
Power Management -> Untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Solved it for me.
I only noticed it on my actual soundard (as it does the music via speakers, on-board does games via headphones).
But as it's the NIC, should work for all sound.

Captain FIzz wrote:
I had the same issue...

Head into Device Manager, Properties of Network Card.
Power Management -> Untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Solved it for me.
I only noticed it on my actual soundard (as it does the music via speakers, on-board does games via headphones).
But as it's the NIC, should work for all sound.

Actually there is no option called "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Could you post a screenshot on where you found it?

There is an option called "energy efficient ethernet" which i switched off. Maybe it will help.

sireric wrote:
Here's a link to the thread on this: https://communities.intel.com/thread/54594?start=90&tstart=0

And here's the driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/71305/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I218-V
(you want the drivers for windows 10 x64 version 20.2 or 20.1 from June).

You may want to try Captain Fizz's suggestion first, however -- I haven't tried that.

Thx. Guess ill try it as well.

Celador
Level 7
So i've rolled back on the intel's ethernet drivers to 20.2 and ndis.sys still occasionally causes latency issues and stuttering. Also - DO NOT switch off "energy efficient ethernet" option in device settings. This causes issues with performance monitoring service on windows and it starts producing errors in the windows journal and cannot be fixed unless you reinstall windows or simply switch it off.

Never had issues turning off energy efficient Ethernet on multiple PC's?

Also - On work PC but it's in the same place on all devices that have the option:

Celador
Level 7
Well my ethernet power management windows looks like that:

I've got Hero VIII motherboard and intel's ethernet drivers basically replace that window when you install them.

Celador wrote:
Well my ethernet power management windows looks like that:

I've got Hero VIII motherboard and intel's ethernet drivers basically replace that window when you install them.

Hey Celador did you fix your problem? If yes can you tall me your trick 🙂 please.

I've had stutter on youtube videos because of graphics drivers, when I changed from Nvidia to radeon 290x. Can't remember how I fixed it but it might have had something to do with vsync.

Lauri wrote:
I've had stutter on youtube videos because of graphics drivers, when I changed from Nvidia to radeon 290x. Can't remember how I fixed it but it might have had something to do with vsync.
Well same what happens to me NVIDIA kernel and lan drivers are killing me 😞 I don't know what do with this motherboard.

Celador
Level 7
Intel has released new network driver which apparently fixes this issue after more than 10 years:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

At least some people report that it does fix it. One person suggests unticking "advanced network services" during installation.

So if you got sound stutter/video stutter, lag spikes, latency spikes and other weird issues - try this driver. If it doesn't work - revert to driver provided by Asus or even older ones.