cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIXED! Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Shutdowns after POST

thao0209
Level 7
I just built a setup recently, been running fine for two weeks now. Last night this just start happening.

If the PC was shutdown previously. It would start POSTing and right before it boots windows, it just shuts off completely(like a lost of power). If I press the power button again. Its bootsright into windows. I can stress test/bench and runs fine.

If the PC was restarted from windows. It starts up just fine.

If I clear CMOS, It doesn't do the fake boot, it just shuts off when it tries to boot windows.

I did a BIOS update to the latest and still no luck, I swap the ram from A1/B1 to A2/B2 and I was getting error code 53. ram memtest86 and no errors. I check all the plugs and no loose plug.

current setup:
6700k Skylake
Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
16GB GSkills TridentX 3200 (i'm running it non OC at the moment)
480 SSD
Cosair RM750i
Asus 770GTX
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello thao0209

Welcome to the ROG forum.

This sounds like it could be a psu issue, I would contact corsair and tell them the problem.

You can try -

1) Check in device manager for any yellow triangles or unknown devices.
2) Open command prompt as an administrator and type in sfc /scannow and press enter.
3) Run windows maintenance tasks and find/fix problems.

I'll take it you have Trident Z Ram, Trident X is ddr3.

Yes Trident Z

I have been lurking these forums for couple years now. Couldn't find a similarly post so I decided to finally come out of the shadow and sign up.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Have you cleared the CMOS and/or reset the bios to default settings?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

FIXED!!!!!

Yes I clear CMOS and nothing work. Bought a new PSU, took out the Graphics card and ran onboard video. Still shutting down on first boot.

I decided to reinstall windows and voila! Its works! I came back here to update and looks like Chino suggested reinstall windows too.

I'm thinking there must be a BSOD when it was trying to boot up. It must've popup so quick and turn off the system before I could catch it. Or atleast thats what I'm thinking.

Thank for all your reply and help!!

Nate152
Hey good to see reinstalling windows got you fixed, windows must have somehow got corrupted.

Since that's all it was can you return your new psu?

I could but I'm planning to keep it. Should come in handy in the future since my backup PSU is very old, a 4plug cpu only and no pci-e plugs.