cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally updating bios and drivers for Hero VIII - Microcode and update questions

BJBBJB
Level 7
I have been very slow in updating my motherboard bios and drivers but I need to get to the most recent windows 10 Pro build so want to do it right. I have not yet updated for the Intel Microcode CPU issue either.

I am running windows 10 64 bit pro with a Samsung NVMe SSD boot drive and various mechanical hard drives.

I have notes from way back when I set the board up that the prevailing wisdom at the time was I did not need to install the INF update (chipset update) and RST or ME Management Engine drivers. Is this still the case or due to the microcode issue do I need to install them? No RAID, just regular SATA drives.

What is the correct install order to make sure all goes well give the microcode issue? Same as normal? So usually I would do this:
-Update bios - what is preferred method now? Still need to rename, etc?
-Used to do chipset and ME, etc. but again....with this board and Win 10 was told not needed for a non-Raid SSD boot drive? Correct?
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software?? Need this?
-Ethernet
-Realtek Audio driver - The most recent download just says driver...not sure if it includes sonic suite utility? I had conflicts with old version and Premier Pro that I do not think are fixed anyway. So I just close it but thought it came with the driver?
-Video driver direct from NVIDIA

The input from this group is most appreciated especially in relation to the microcode thing. I saw one of the bios versions said to install the new ME along with the new bios for the microcode fix. Do I assume correctly you HAVE to do the fix and take the performance hit?

I love the ROG equipment and this is my second ROG board. I just leave things alone when they "work" and now, I need to do all of this at once.

Thanks!
BJBBJB

-
5 REPLIES 5

BJBBJB
Level 7
Any help would be most appreciated. This forum has been so helpful since I went all ROG.
BJBBJB

JustinThyme
Level 13
Update BIOS however you need to for your board. If you do it in the BIOS no rename necessary, if using flashback it has to be named specifically to your board on a fat 32 formatted stick with nothing else on it.*

As for install if you aren’t using raid you don’t need IRST. The chipset however is always needed and should be first followed by MEI. Then whatever. I like starting with the heavy stuff first like GPU. I’ve never heard of not installing chipset drivers. That leaves you to the mercy of M$ which may not be the best option and performance can suffer tremendously. *If you want to use the latest 1809 it’s best *to just go with the new microcode with both the BIOS and OS. It’s been improved since it’s first iteration.**

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Update BIOS however you need to for your board. If you do it in the BIOS no rename necessary, if using flashback it has to be named specifically to your board on a fat 32 formatted stick with nothing else on it.*

As for install if you aren’t using raid you don’t need IRST. The chipset however is always needed and should be first followed by MEI. Then whatever. I like starting with the heavy stuff first like GPU. I’ve never heard of not installing chipset drivers. That leaves you to the mercy of M$ which may not be the best option and performance can suffer tremendously. *If you want to use the latest 1809 it’s best *to just go with the new microcode with both the BIOS and OS. It’s been improved since it’s first iteration.**

Justin,

Thanks! I appreciate the input and will probably just do the bios update from the bios itself. Then Chipset, Intel Management Engine Interface Driver, Video and so on.

I don't recall what the story was on the chipset drivers back then, I too always did it in the past and certainly will now. Who knows, I may have done it since then, but regardless is old!

I know some bios updates are notorious for losing settings....I always document current settings but is this series of updates pretty good at keeping prior settings? Or do you need to reload?

Thanks again,

BJBBJB

I agree with JustinT comments:

Update BIOS through board
Load Win 10
Chipset
MEI
LAN
Audio/Video/etc

Take note of your BIOS settings. They will not be saved.

mdzcpa wrote:
I agree with JustinT comments:

Update BIOS through board
Load Win 10
Chipset
MEI
LAN
Audio/Video/etc

Take note of your BIOS settings. They will not be saved.

Thanks. I assume since I am just doing a windows update.....although a major version number jump one and using the MCT, I would do the Windows update last?

BJBBJB