cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Warning message

duffyfs
Level 8
About every 6th or 7th boot I get a black screen with the message "BIOS is Updating...Do not Shutdown or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." There is a code 80 on the motherboard.
I didn't try to update BIOS in any way. Also, nothing happens. I end up doing a hard shutdown/clear cmos then things will then work normally. Any ideas why this happens?
My specs in case I haven't previously posted them:
Maximus VIII Formula...1504 bios
I7 6700k
Corsair H110i
980ti Hybrid
32 gig Tridentz ddr4-3200
EVGA Supernova 1000 P2
Win 10 Pro on Samsung 1TB 850 Pro
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried re-flashing the bios?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

GotKevlar
Level 7
id try flashing your mobo to the latest non-beta bios.

Chino...Logitech G810 keyboard, Logitech G502 mouse, Epson WF4630 printer, APC BACK-UPS PRO 1300, Dell U2715H monitor hub, and Corsair H110i cooler connected to motherboard USB 2.0. The H110i is not detected by Windows 10 the same as the H110i gt it replaced. Throws a error code 43. The cooler is working ok according to the UEFI. If I were to load the Corsair Link software I had shutdown problems, so I'm controlling it with UEFI. Why do you think BIOS problem is linked to USB?

Chino
Level 15
I recall one or two users seeing that exact message about the BIOS updating. And just like you, they didn't update the BIOS intentionally. The common denominator was an external WD hard drive that was connected to the system during boot. After disconnecting it, the message went away and no longer appeared.

If I had to take a wild guess, try disconnecting your monitor HUB. Those have known to cause boot issues.

Chino...Thanks, I've had the hub disconnected and haven't seen the error reappear...fingers crossed. On a related item I have a Corsair H110i cooler on my CPU which doesn't get recognized in device manager (win 10) and is instead seen as a generic USB device. I originally had a H110i gt which Corsair had me RMA for the H110i only to have the same issue. Tech support has had me try this and that the latest was to try different XHCI settings all to no avail. Is there a way to check the motherboard USB 2.0 connections on the motherboard to see if they are operating? The cooler is working fine, but for now I've connected it's fans to CPU and CPU opt, pump to pump since without the USB connection there is not much point installing the Clink software. I'd like to get this board overclocked and get on with gaming, but first I've got to work out the kinks. I've built a dozen boxes and have been playing computer since 1965 and have never had so many problems as with this build. Thanks again...Andy

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately I have never used a Corsair unit before so I'm not sure if it needs a driver for the OS to pick it up. Perhaps try installing Corsair Link. Maybe it comes with the driver you need.

Well the hub wasn't the problem. When I booted up this morning I got the black screen with the Bios warning. Came on for 10 seconds...shutdown...restarted on its own, but in a state as if I'd done a hard shutdown, pulled the plug, and rebooted. It did not present the bios screen, just hung. I did a hard shutdown...cleared cmos...rebooted. Bios boot screen came up...entered bios...still 1504...everything had reset to defaults...left alone and exited. Computer would not boot to OS with a blinking cursor on a black screen...I let it blink for 15 minutes then did a hard shutdown and rebooted. This time it rebooted into Win 10. I did multiple shutdown/restarts to make sure that was working. Finally, I did a re-flash to 1902, which was successful, reconfigured my XMP and settings and crossed fingers. I have the hub plugged in. The last thing I had done was to do an initial run of the Realbench benchmark which was successful last night. I'd planned to finally do an overclock today as per Chino's sticky, but didn't get that far. Any other ideas? I'm holding off on the OC to see if the BIOS continues to crash...Thanks

Raja
Level 13
If it happens again, set the memory back to stock (load defaults, with no XMP) and see if it still happens. The BIOS is updating message can occur when the memory is unstable.

-Raja