cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios 3703

acerzr2
Level 7
I am running on the Maximus VIII hero alpha. In regards to the specter/meltdown security issue,
if I update my management engine driver and run the update tool, am I safe with 3504 BIOS, or am I not fully
safe until ASUS releases the 3703 BIOS?
117 REPLIES 117

xeizo
Level 12
I've been running the 3703 bios since the day it was released with no particular problems, it works and the annoying reboot-bug(halts at reboot) from the latest bios:es when OC:d is gone which is real nice. I've been running insider builds of Windows 10, currently at 17120, and they have all worked well.

Meanwhile, my laptop from HP have had three bios updates because of Meltdown/Spectre, understandingly as the first one had catastrophic performance issues. But the latest bios which came a few days ago is rather smooth. I'm pretty certain HP has a newer Intel-patch in it's bios, Intel has released more than one and 3703 came out before the latest patch was announced. So, Asus should realistically have a new bios coming with the very latest patch, and with possibly less performance impact.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo
Level 12
edit. double post
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback.
I've also measured ~10% cpu hit here in BF1, for now I'll continue to quote 6% to 10% slowdown (intel conservative numbers for client systems in last generation cpus).
https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/intel-security-issue-update-initial-performance-data-results-c...

aceisme
Level 10
I have decided to run the Intel ME Detection Tool after upgrading to BIOS3703 and it tells me that my system is vulnerable. I thought this BIOS contains the Meltdown/Spectre fix already? Or am I missing something?

Probably Intel ME Firmware upgrade,

aceisme
Level 10
Isn't the ME firmware updated already with this BIOS version?

Not sure but no mention of ME in my 3703 Bios.
My MEUpdateTool is in the BIOS Update list.
(Use ME Update tool to update your ME.
*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 11.7.0.1040 simultaneously.)

Also InSpectre#7 hints on the latest Intel processor microcode patches available.

Have they reworked this BIOS with the newest Intel Microcode for Skylake? I tried this back when it was released and had to RMA my processor to Intel due to the buggy microcode first released. The new and less-buggy version was released last month but the BIOS date doesn't reflect this.

Optionally, has anyone compiled a BIOS based on 3703 that does not contain the Spectre/Meltdown fix? (I'm a fan of the fix-just dear jesus not the first iteration of it)