cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent pins

jchambers2586
Level 8
Z170 Pro gaming a lot of bent pins what is the repair cost to fix it is it cheaper to buy a new board.
14 REPLIES 14

Korth
Level 14
I've read about ASUS accepting RMAs (twice) on mobos with bent processor socket pins, though I've never seen it personally.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I've read about ASUS accepting RMAs (twice) on mobos with bent processor socket pins, though I've never seen it personally.

NO! ASUS does NOT accept bent pins. Don't post rubbish.

emsir wrote:

You constantly saying rubbish, is rubbish.

xeromist
How many pins are bent? Can't really tell from the photo but it looks like maybe a couple in the middle on the right?

Unfortunately bent pins are often (from what I've seen) considered customer induced damage and not covered by warranty. Motherboards ship with socket caps so unless it was repackaged at some point it's unlikely to arrive that way. That said, if it came this way from a retailer I'd complain and try to get them to exchange it. They may have repackaged a damaged return and sold it as new.

If you bent them yourself or can't get help from your retailer then it's probably not going to be worth it to pay someone to fix it. You can call local repair shops and ask them what they charge but I think most have a minimum service charge which is probably more than half the cost of the board.

If you're patient this is something you can probably fix yourself with a steady hand. Apply gentle pressure with a small implement to realign the pin at the same angle as the rest of the pins. Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOYEQ65a94
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
How many pins are bent? Can't really tell from the photo but it looks like maybe a couple in the middle on the right?

Unfortunately bent pins are often (from what I've seen) considered customer induced damage and not covered by warranty. Motherboards ship with socket caps so unless it was repackaged at some point it's unlikely to arrive that way. That said, if it came this way from a retailer I'd complain and try to get them to exchange it. They may have repackaged a damaged return and sold it as new.

If you bent them yourself or can't get help from your retailer then it's probably not going to be worth it to pay someone to fix it. You can call local repair shops and ask them what they charge but I think most have a minimum service charge which is probably more than half the cost of the board.

If you're patient this is something you can probably fix yourself with a steady hand. Apply gentle pressure with a small implement to realign the pin at the same angle as the rest of the pins. Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOYEQ65a94

You can't repair bent pins and to think that a Youtube video will solve the problem is rubbish. No one has ever "repaired" bent socket pins. Only solution is to either buy a new board or sent it for repair. (replace the CPU socket).

emsir wrote:
You can't repair bent pins and to think that a Youtube video will solve the problem is rubbish. No one has ever "repaired" bent socket pins. Only solution is to either buy a new board or sent it for repair. (replace the CPU socket).

You are wrong, people have successfully straightened bent pins with positive results.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

emsir wrote:

emsir wrote:

Those are two posts that contribute nothing and are only meant to antagonize. No one needs you telling other users what to post nor your evaluation of posts as rubbish. All that user said was he/she has read of ASUS accepting boards with bent pins. ASUS accepting boards and their policy being to accept boards are two different things. I know someone that sent in a board with a bent pin and ASUS accepted it and sent a replacement. It may not be their policy but the board was replaced.

As NemesisChild said, pins can be repaired. Can a lot of pins be repaired? Hard to say. Each bent pin increases the possibility a delicate repair might fail but pins can be unbent thus repaired. I know of multiple successful cases and even one case refutes your absolute statement.

emsir wrote:

Since you seem to love to tell others they are wrong I'm sure you won't mind hearing it from us.

You are wrong. If you had watched the video you'd clearly see that the pins in question were not badly bent and he bends them back on camera. You can literally watch it happen. Of course badly bent or broken pins aren't going to be repairable, but the picture jchambers provided does not look badly damaged. If the board is a total loss anyway then there is nothing to lose by trying to bend them back.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

emsir wrote:

I beg to differ, I've done it twice now on 2 different boards and both are still working fine to this day.
All you need is a suitable tool, magnifying glass and a steady hand.
Still, if such a relatively easy task is too much for ya then we'll, go buy a new one and waste some money or return it and let someone with some skills repair it for ya 😉
Chassis: NZXT Switch 810. - MB: Rampage v Extreme x99. - CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k. - Memory: 16GB Ripsaw 4 DDR4 2400MHz. - GPU: 2x Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC Edition 4GB.
PSU: Corsair AX1200i. - Storage: 1x Samsung 830 60GB SSD + 1x Samsung evo 840 120GB SSD + 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD.