cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent pins

jchambers2586
Level 8
Z170 Pro gaming a lot of bent pins what is the repair cost to fix it is it cheaper to buy a new board.
14 REPLIES 14

NemesisChild
Level 12
I've heard people taking it to local jewelers since they have the equipment and experience with fine detail work.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
I've heard people taking it to local jewelers since they have the equipment and experience with fine detail work.

Oh yes, I'd also heard that. I guess it makes sense but I've never actually heard from anyone who tried it. It would have to be a place that does repair on-site, not just a retail store.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Nate152
Yeah if there's just a couple bent pins you can straighten/align them with a wooden toothpick, a magnifying glass and good light, be careful not to damage any of the otherpins so a steady hand as xeromist says is key.

I've seen a few people here with bent socket pins straighten them with success, if you can't straighten them it's probably best to get a new board as i think Asus will charge around $150.00 to replace the socket.

Good luck and give us an update.

Korth
Level 14
lol un-bending bent pins is an almost "trivial" repair. It's only "serious" because while the risk of actually breaking the pin (or the PCB traces or solder joints, the socket plastics, even an adjacent pin) is quite low, the consequences of doing so can be catastrophic (dead $600 mobo with voided warranty basically = trash). The skills and tools of a jeweller can't hurt but aren't strictly required. Good light, magnification, tweezers, a steady hand, and some confidence are all that are strictly needed.

Anyone who's worked and reworked a lot of solder has encountered broken parts and broken pins. And also figured out how to improvise repairs: how to connect point-to-point with the teeniest-gauge wires, how to affix conductive "prosthetics" to pin stumps, how to Dremel-and-weld replacement pin, how to create magnificently fine solder bridges/arches, and all the rest. No repair is ever "impossible", although admittedly some repairs can look kind of ghetto.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

jchambers2586
Level 8
There's no PC repair shops where I'm located I live in a really small town even the biggest town has nothing