cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z170 Gene strange memory issues...

sahafiec
Level 10
hi guys,

I have already red other topics about memory issues with this particular motherboard.
but my issue seems a bit different, thus I decided to open a new topic.
I'm using the Asus Z170 Gene (bios 1402), Intel i5 6600K (no OC) and Corsair 4x4GB 2400MHz ram (CMK16GX4M4A2400C14).

the motherboard and the ram are both in each others QVL lists so I expected them to work flawlessly.
the cpu, motherboard and ram combo is about 2 months old and I'm facing some random stability issues.
the range goes from a freeze to a BSOD, always random and not really reproducible.

I've been investigating that together with the great guys over at "tenforums" but was not able to find the real cause.
suspecting a driver issue I performed a clean install of my Windows 10 Pro so drivers should not be a problem anymore.
only a minimum of the only needed driver are cleanly installed: vga, audio and chipset (all up to date).

what I realize is that I never have a BSOD or freeze while running my rams on auto settings.
as soon as switch the rams to XMP and run them on 2400MHZ (instead of 2133MHz) I get random issues.
to be clear I never have issues to boot the system, the issues come later on and are not predictable.

additionally while troubleshooting the BSODs I ran a Memtest on the rams for more than 8 loops with no errors.
so there seems to be no physical issue with the rams but still XMP causes problems.

what's the problem with that motherboard, why is an overclocker motherboard not able to run 2400MHz ram on XMP?

the rams supports even 2666MHz on XMP (second profile) and the motherboard is advertised even with speeds up to 3800MHz.

I just don't get what's the bottleneck here, what's causing the issue?!

I appreciate any help I can get, especially by users of the same motherboard.

note:
for those interested hier is the link to my BSOD troubleshooting.
http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/40664-bsod-attempted_write_to_readonly_memory-window...
156 REPLIES 156

sahafiec
Level 10
what a mess - no matter which ram I look at, my motherboard is always on the QVL list and should work.

just too good to be true but it isn't, that's for sure.

maybe I could get my ram to run stable by manually adjusting everything in the bios, actually I like it as long as it works as it should.

The_F34R_Channe
Level 7
You could and might work it, but is it worth the hassle? I'd get a G.Skill TridentZ kit if I knew RAM was the problem.
Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero | Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 | G.Skill Trident Z 3333MHz CL16 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p | Windows 10 Pro x64

I have change all in mine. The last thing i have change was the memory and it did fix my problem.

sahafiec
Level 10
I'll have do try out some tests, otherwise can not even sell the ram.
but I'm really disappointed with Corsair this time, never had issues before.

Chino
Level 15
Have you tried setting up your RAM manually to run at 2400MHz instead of activating XMP?

sahafiec wrote:
I ran a Memtest on the rams for more than 8 loops with no errors.

Which Memtest? And explain exactly how you ran it please.

I haven't set the ram manually to the XMP settings but to the SPD ones.
had no issues with them as they are the same as the auto settings.
but I'll give it a try and see if it works.

I performed the ram test as suggested on the tenforums.
I used Memtest86+ v.5.01 and let it run for at least 8 loops.
the details can be found in my original post, I included the link of the troubleshooting thread.

Nate152
As Chino suggests try setting your ram manually.

On the extreme tweaker tab set the Dram frequency to 2400MHz, scroll down to Dram voltage 1.20v is listed for your kit but you can try 1.25v - 1.30v, it's perfectly fine.

Then go to Dram timing control and enter in at the very top:

command rate 2

F10 and enter to save and exit.

Does this help at all?

sahafiec
Level 10
I opened a support ticket at Corsair, they started some kind of troubleshooting procedure I should follow.
as soon as getting the current steps done for them I'II set the ram manually as Nate152 kindly posted.

update:
after the testing for Corsair I set my ram manually, for now no issues.

sahafiec wrote:
I opened a support ticket at Corsair, they started some kind of troubleshooting procedure I should follow.
as soon as getting the current steps done for them I'II set the ram manually as Nate152 kindly posted.

update:
after the testing for Corsair I set my ram manually, for now no issues.

XMP usually doesn't work if the you're trying to use it on a platform that it wasn't designed for. In such cases, setting up your RAM manually is the way to go. As for DDR4 testing, use HCI Memtest. It's much more effective. Or if you're on Linux, the Google Stress App is amazing as well.

sahafiec
Level 10
well assuming it will further run with no issues on manual I ask myself what the problem with XMP could be?!
the only difference I can tell right now is the Dram voltage, I set it to 1.25V in the bios.

under Windows 10 Pro, what I'm running, HWInfo64 reports a Dram voltage of 1.248V.
so there doesn't seem to be much voltage drop somewhere, rather maybe the motherboard doesn't supply enough of it with XMP on.

it's another story that my ram should be able to run at 2400MHz with just 1.2V according to Corsair.
that's what the XMP 2400MHz does, running the ram on 1.2V, that seems not enough.
I'll run the system with this settings for now and see if I get an issue or not.