cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula - Sound and shutdown issues

deus512
Level 7
Hi there!

I decided to build a new PC with the mainboard Maximus VIII Formula. Here are the specs:

-> Intel Core i7-6700K
-> MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
-> Corsair Professional Series Platinum AX860i
-> Corsair Dominator Platinum DIMM Kit 32GB

Issue #1:
As seen before in this forum my board is also affected by the sound issue where I can hear a crackling/popping sound when playing a quiet tune, e.g. the windows test tune when clicking on the volume adjuster in the taskbar. For me, this issue is not acceptable because I don't want to install a software which keeps my channels open so that the issue does not appear.

Issue#2:
Once again, as seen before I am also affected by the shutdown bug where Windows 10 does trigger the shutdown process, the monitor goes black but fans won't turn off. In my case, it is definitely NOT a software issue because I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 without ASUS software, e.g. the AI Suite. What I do have are connected CPU fans. For those fans, I configured specific fan settings within the UEFI BIOS. This could be important because I have seen other posts here suggesting that this is the root cause of the problem. Once again, this behaviour is not acceptable for me.

So I think a RMA request is the only option for me, correct?

Thank you!
17 REPLIES 17

Legolas
Level 9
What headphone do you use or speakers? Is it very low resistance ones?
Sincerely,
Legolas

sucka
Level 7
Hey i had crackling and when sound were played pc almost locked, took forever even for a click right menu to open.
this was on m8 extreme and using strix raid dlx audio, after looking into it, it turned out the audio as i knew it was using usb through pcie, that it has asmedia usb hub, and after installing the latest asmedia driver from the motherboard(even though i have all asmedia usb disabled) everything runs fine now, so it was a problem at least on this board and audio with the drivers, wanted asmedia driver and not microsoft default.

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my Asus Formula VIII
Shutdown issue: Windows 10 does trigger the shutdown process, the monitor goes black but fans won't turn off (not normal) and MB LED's stay powered on (that is normal)
No complete system shutdown MB. have to shut the PSU down manualy for complete shutdown.

I know it is not an PSU issue because it worked perfect on my older MB.

Is this a Hardware failure of the Asus MB?
The "funny" thing is, sometimes the pc does shutdown correctly, but it does that very rarely and i do not know the conditions why it does that.
I looked at every setting in the BIOS and could not find anything.
I even did a complete BIOS flash yesterday, but to no avail.

Please advise. I can find a lot of people with this problem. But i still have to find (read) the solution.
According to the ROG forum this is a known issue?? any Solution?

could this be a hardware problem of the MB and if so would a new MB be the solution?

For a MB that costs over 300€ i would expact it to work.

davidpiot1974 wrote:
Hi,

I am having the same problem with my Asus Formula VIII
Shutdown issue: Windows 10 does trigger the shutdown process, the monitor goes black but fans won't turn off (not normal) and MB LED's stay powered on (that is normal)
No complete system shutdown MB. have to shut the PSU down manualy for complete shutdown.

I know it is not an PSU issue because it worked perfect on my older MB.

Is this a Hardware failure of the Asus MB?
The "funny" thing is, sometimes the pc does shutdown correctly, but it does that very rarely and i do not know the conditions why it does that.
I looked at every setting in the BIOS and could not find anything.
I even did a complete BIOS flash yesterday, but to no avail.

Please advise. I can find a lot of people with this problem. But i still have to find (read) the solution.
According to the ROG forum this is a known issue?? any Solution?

could this be a hardware problem of the MB and if so would a new MB be the solution?

For a MB that costs over 300€ i would expact it to work.

List your complete system specifications for me please. Also indicate if you have the Intel RSTe software or AI Suite 3 installed.

Chino wrote:
List your complete system specifications for me please. Also indicate if you have the Intel RSTe software or AI Suite 3 installed.

OK i will. I am at the office now so i can not do it right away.

I have the RST softw. installed (not latest from Intel, but the one on the Asus site) no AI suite 3 installed.

Hi guys,

I have found the solution. My PC is back to normal.

The problem was the ownership of the drive after a clean install of windows 10. apparently this was preventing the PC (motherboard) from shutting down.
For the people who remember: owenership is held by account S-02-05-54545454

I ran auslogics registry defrag and it corrected my registry hive (step 9 and 10).

Works like a charm now.

Not good, the problem is back.
It went well for a few times, but the issue is back.

I wonder if this is Windows 10 related.
When i right Click on the Windows start button and click on sign out and then shutdown (from the logon screen) the pc does a perfect shutdown 10/10.

So if there are other people with the same problem.

Start --> shut down or sign out --> sign out --> and then shut down.

This works for me, and it's better then switching the PSU off.

sucka wrote:
Hey i had crackling and when sound were played pc almost locked, took forever even for a click right menu to open.
this was on m8 extreme and using strix raid dlx audio, after looking into it, it turned out the audio as i knew it was using usb through pcie, that it has asmedia usb hub, and after installing the latest asmedia driver from the motherboard(even though i have all asmedia usb disabled) everything runs fine now, so it was a problem at least on this board and audio with the drivers, wanted asmedia driver and not microsoft default.

I'm having the exact same problem (M8 Formula + Strix PCI-E Soundcard) - can you elaborate on exactly what you did to fix it? I don't follow the "using USB through PCIE" comment - do you mean the audio processing was somehow polling/querying the USB part of the motherboard?

What is the version of the ASMEDIA usb driver you have installed? ( Is it the beta ASM1142 Driver V1.16.33.1 or? )
Also, if you disable the asmedia USB hub in the BIOS do the ports still work?