cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO new bios 802 "problem"

Origo
Level 7
Hey everyone,

So after updating my bios (to get XMP working) the boot has become very long.

When i boot up my computer my screen do not light up and my keyboard & mouse either for like 15 seconds~~ and then it boot normally on windows without a problem and i have no stability probleme at all.

I've been looking at the onboard led of my mb and it seems that the mb runs a lot of "test" since i can see a lot of numbers going on for the 15 secs. So do you have any idea of what coould done that ?

Thank you in advance !
14 REPLIES 14

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The extended boot time is the result of memory training. Fully clear the UEFI and test with all memory related settings at stock default values.

Praz wrote:
Hello

The extended boot time is the result of memory training. Fully clear the UEFI and test with all memory related settings at stock default values.

So i did a clear CMOS and tried with the auto settings & XMP settings and it's all the same (without XMP enabled it's like 3 or 4 secs with a black screen before my monitor light up and mouse & keyboard & with XMP enabled, it is 15s secs~ before my monitor light up and mouse & keyboard)
Since there is no big issue on my pc or while it boot, it's fine i was just afraid something went wrong with my PSU or something else.

So there is noway to bypass that so i can have a fast boot like with my older bios ? unless it is a bug from the newest bios.

Origo
Level 7
So all i have to do a clear CMOS and see if everything run fine after that ? that's it ?

Anyway, thanks for your answer it rassure me about my pc not being broken or else !

TszChun_Anson
Level 7
Extended boot time is also the problem I have. People always easily tells us to clear CMOS or just to increase IO/SA voltage, but they sometimes dont realise that if more and more people reports the similiar case, it may not only be the problem of the users...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

DDR4 requires additional POST time for memory training. Because of quad channel X99 POST time is even longer. If this is unacceptable one needs to stay on a previous platform. This is not a problem for most users as they make use of S3 and once booted up they spend their time actually using their system and not just turning it off and on all day.

Praz wrote:
Hello

DDR4 requires additional POST time for memory training. Because of quad channel X99 POST time is even longer. If this is unacceptable one needs to stay on a previous platform. This is not a problem for most users as they make use of S3 and once booted up they spend their time actually using their system and not just turning it off and on all day.

The thing is before updating to bios 802 i didn't have those "boot time". it used to just boot in less than 10 secs.

And sorry if i don't want to let my pc run everytime even when i'm not on it 😐

Mentas
Level 7
I thought tech and ASUS was suppose to move forward and no back...all the same...there are many issues to iron out, staying on the previous platform wow...i guess Asus and partners do not need to sell no more great ideology, i hope the engineers don't think like that

yenclas
Level 7
Same problem here

Menthol
Level 14
DDR4 is really still in it's infancy and this is a new platform so there will be some growing pains along the way. This is what I like about being an early adopter, personally I enjoy these teething pains of a new platform, I find I learn so much more and it gives me an excuse to search the forums. DDR4 is still in its infancy and with new modules designed for the Z-100 platform and early modules designed for the X99 platform it is not unreasonable that there will be many bios updates to address compatibility issues. It may appear strange that a new platform takes longer to boot but at least with ASUS you get bios updates and you have these forums to voice your issues with users to help address them