cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VIII Hero 15.9gb out of 16gb

I-Siamak-I
Level 7
Hello, I recently changed my MSI Z170 MB to Asus M8H and right of the bat I noticed in Windows 10 my Ram used to be 16GB but now is 15.9gb, This is bugging the hell out of me and I tried everything I could think of, is this something that can be addressed with Bios update or I'm stuck with this?

CPU: i7 6700K
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz 16gb
GPU: GTX 980 Ti
PSU: EVGA 1000 P2
7 REPLIES 7

I-Siamak-I
Level 7
Upon further researching this option is indeed present even in Asus Z170-AR, so it is fully possible to have it but if and when is the question.

I-Siamak-I
Level 7
Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about, please advise...

Korth
Level 14
Your computer is addressing all 16GB of main RAM.

Some memory is always reported as unavailable because it's reserved for the system firmware. Think of it as RAM occupied by the running BIOS code, although it's actually a collection of many little hardware interfaces for all sorts of different motherboard management, paging, buffers, and shadowing tasks. You can free some of this memory up by disabling BIOS functions and motherboard services - this would slightly diminish compatibility or performance (because all the hardware processes and caches are installed to do useful things) and it's hardly worth the effort anyhow. Every mobo model has different hardware and different BIOS code to make it all work, some will "waste" as much as 512MB or more on this system overhead.

The differences you've noticed are based on your reporting software, not on actual memory allocations. One tool might add some or all of the reserved memory components into a "used by the system" category while another might simply ignore reserved memory and subtract it from the total installed memory. You are still "missing" about the same little amount of reserved RAM regardless of which OS you run or how much memory you have installed (although 32-bit operating systems are notorious for locking out up to 1GB of the maximum 4GB they can directly address).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Not sure what the memory scrambler setting has to do with this. Scrambling is used on the DQ lines to scramble the bits which results in reduced current. 15.9GB out of 16GB is common and not something to lose sleep over. A non-issue.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Not sure what the memory scrambler setting has to do with this. Scrambling is used on the DQ lines to scramble the bits which results in reduced current. 15.9GB out of 16GB is common and not something to lose sleep over. A non-issue.

I asked the question on Overclock.net and a user who has a different board ( Asus Z170-A ) said his memory installed shows 16GB, I just wanna make sure my Board is ok, otherwise everything else seems to be working as it should.

I-Siamak-I wrote:
I asked the question on Overclock.net and a user who has a different board ( Asus Z170-A ) said his memory installed shows 16GB, I just wanna make sure my Board is ok, otherwise everything else seems to be working as it should.

I'm with Praz, fairly sure this setting does something entirely different and shouldn't affect these metrics.

You should expect the same reported results as the other user, assuming you are using exactly identical hardware, operating system, and software reporting tool. But small variations are also expected, and even something as trivial as how long your SSD has been in use or the order your drivers were loaded at boot or how long since your OS last routinely flushed its caches can cause small differences. A single small difference between your system hardware or drivers or versions could change everything.

I'm not really an expert in this, but your system looks perfectly fine to me.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I'm with Praz, fairly sure this setting does something entirely different and shouldn't affect these metrics.

You should expect the same reported results as the other user, assuming you are using exactly identical hardware, operating system, and software reporting tool. But small variations are also expected, and even something as trivial as how long your SSD has been in use or the order your drivers were loaded at boot or how long since your OS last routinely flushed its caches can cause small differences. A single small difference between your system hardware or drivers or versions could change everything.

I'm not really an expert in this, but your system looks perfectly fine to me.

Yea besides this small matter everything seems to be working perfectly fine, boots fast, seems stable, how should I test my system for stability? I've been playing COD, Witcher 3, have multiple chrome tabs open and temps on CPU is 28-30c idle and never goes above 45c