cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2202 Bios

Carbonicdk
Level 8
The Maximus VIII Ranger just got a 2202 bios to download on the Danish Asus site. It's not on the US one but I'm guessing they are in the progress of doing so.
https://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/

Updates are as follows:

MAXIMUS VIII RANGER BIOS 2202
1.CPU uCode update
2.Support more PCIe-1394 devices.

So not so vague notes as usually 🙂
78 REPLIES 78

Chino wrote:
The easiest way to do so is to save your settings as a profile. Load the optimized defaults and then load your profile. Before exiting the BIOS, a window will appear with a summary of all the settings changed by your profile. What you do is save the screenshot to a USB pendrive and you're done. Sure beats writing everything down on a piece of paper.

On paper it sure does look good, in practice, it rarely works. Numerous times I've saved a profile, only to find it fail to load after BIOS update. I just don't bother now, and save screenshots of important settings instead. (F12 key in BIOS) I have them uploaded to the cloud, and access them via my tablet when configuring the updated BIOS, of course, one could print them out also, but I find the former easier.

Optimized defaults before flash, optimized defaults after flash is safe and proper way to update, always has been, for the years I've been doing it 🙂

For the people with ROG Hero Alpha 8 who updated to 2202, how did you flash? Via EZflash within the bios or USB BIOS flashback.
I get a reading file error when I try to flash on my mb and the online bios update says 1902 is the latest.

Suztera wrote:
For the people with ROG Hero Alpha 8 who updated to 2202, how did you flash? Via EZflash within the bios or USB BIOS flashback.
I get a reading file error when I try to flash on my mb and the online bios update says 1902 is the latest.

EZFlash. I never use online option to flash bios because it introduces unnecessery risks. I rename the bios file and copy it to the root of the system drive, then select it from the bios and flash it. I do not clear cmos or load optimal values before or after flashing new bios. When updated bios is up and running I just enter new values for bios parameters (it really takes less than a minute). Never failed a flash (except intentionally for training purposes).

For those with XMP problems, I suggest following:
    Disable Fast Boot
    Disable MRC fast boot
    Disable MCH Full Check
    Set System Agent Boot Voltage to 1.2V
    Set VCCIO Boot Voltage to 1.2V
    Try with Maximus Tweak 1 and 2. I have encountered memory sets that work on 2 but not 1 and the other way around.
    Check that primary memory timings are actually what they should be according to SPD. Check that DRAM voltage is really at least 1.35V.

Tygerion wrote:
EZFlash. I never use online option to flash bios because it introduces unnecessery risks. I rename the bios file and copy it to the root of the system drive, then select it from the bios and flash it. I do not clear cmos or load optimal values before or after flashing new bios. When updated bios is up and running I just enter new values for bios parameters (it really takes less than a minute). Never failed a flash (except intentionally for training purposes).

Disable Fast Boot
    Disable MRC fast boot
    Disable MCH Full Check
    Set System Agent Boot Voltage to 1.2V
    Set VCCIO Boot Voltage to 1.2V
    Try with Maximus Tweak 1 and 2. I have encountered memory sets that work on 2 but not 1 and the other way around.
    Check that primary memory timings are actually what they should be according to SPD. Check that DRAM voltage is really at least 1.35V.

I updated by putting the bios file onto a usb. For some reason, the bios wouldn't read the file if it was on my C drive or my other HDD.
Did not need to rename it to anything though.
Haven't had any problems with XMP for 2666.

Tygerion wrote:

You sir, nailed it. After tinkering around, it was MODE 2 what brought XMP back to life. I'm lacking some benchmark and testing, but it works and boots fine. Thank you sooo much. As a wise Admiral once said: -I look out there on you wonderful guy and I say to myself "What I wouldn't give to be 20 years younger... and a woman";);)

Now, being serious again, I cannot understand why this AUTO setting is not clearly working. It should automatically select the best working mode, isn't it?.

Please ASUS, now that it seems that the problem is located, fix this on the next release.

xator wrote:
You sir, nailed it. After tinkering around, it was MODE 2 what brought XMP back to life. I'm lacking some benchmark and testing, but it works and boots fine. Thank you sooo much. As a wise Admiral once said: -I look out there on you wonderful guy and I say to myself "What I wouldn't give to be 20 years younger... and a woman";);)

Now, being serious again, I cannot understand why this AUTO setting is not clearly working. It should automatically select the best working mode, isn't it?.

Please ASUS, now that it seems that the problem is located, fix this on the next release.

Hardware varies from one user to another so it's hard for the motherboard to always get it right. For most users, the AUTO setting works fine. If not, then user intervention is required.

Chino wrote:
Hardware varies from one user to another so it's hard for the motherboard to always get it right. For most users, the AUTO setting works fine. If not, then user intervention is required.

I know, and I do appreciate your point. But I think that ASUS should work a little more here and there on matters like this. Because, lets face it, these Maximus series aren't what I'd call "cheap" hardware. And, even supposing that this should be allowed, as these motherboards are a little more "proffesional" than others, ASUS should at least put a decent comment on each Bios update, warning the user to change Mem Tweak Mode, for instance, or put a little note saying something like "ey, users getting some 32 q code with this update, have to boot with memOK and then change Mode...to..." something like that.

Anyway, thanks for everything.

xator wrote:
You sir, nailed it. After tinkering around, it was MODE 2 what brought XMP back to life. I'm lacking some benchmark and testing, but it works and boots fine. Thank you sooo much

Glad to be of help.

Suztera wrote:

Try a quick FAT32 format, then place the file on the flash drive with nothing else on it.

If that doesn't work, try another low capacity flash drive and repeat the above.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

ondersma80
Level 7
I generally update with EZFlash, on occasion USB Flashback. I never rename the file and always place it on a USB (fat32) when using EZFlash. I do not alter the bios before updating and restore settings manually.