cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x99 Sabertooth 5820k OC log

Klute_Onren
Level 9
I just wanted to keep a log of my OC result's, this system has had problems ever since I put it together so either I'm not OCing it properly, there is an issue or my method is flawed. So a week ago I decided to start at stock with no turbo boost and only change one thing every few day's. It has had a problem of being stable for daily use then randomly won't post.

System: (currently)
mobo: Asus X99 Sabertooth
cpu: I7 5820k
hsf: Swiftech H220x2
ram: 16-32g Corsair LPX 2400 (currently 16g: other set is not installed)
psu: Corsair 750w
gpu: Sapphire R9 Fury Nittro
storage:
256g m.2 nvme 950pro
2x sandisk ssdplus 120g
2x hitachi 2tb
2x toshiba 3tb
case: white NZXT Noctis 450
6 REPLIES 6

Klute_Onren
Level 9
Here are the setting's that have left me stable for a few day's and a few hours of realbench stress @8g ram

if not listed assume stock/default/standard/auto

speedstep: off
turboboost: off (realized this was on, going to retest today with it off, didn't boost though)
all cores sync 37
strap 100
bclk 100
cache min/max 30
haswell-E sfr adjust disabled
bootperformancemode performance
vcore 1.10

today I went to 38 on core ratio and it hung on first boot A2 detect hdd, reboot and it posted. I'm going back to 37 to test with turboboost off just to be certain.

Brighttail
Level 11
You have got a lot of vcore to play with if your temps are good.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
You have got a lot of vcore to play with if your temps are good.

Thanks, yeah I'm getting better result's this time around. Previously I just threw all kinds of setting's at it and hoped for the best.

Last night I stressed XTU for 11hrs on the cpu and it passed at core ratio 39, nothing else has changed. I spent the day stressing and rebooting at 37 and 38 then ran 39 over night. Today I'll be working on 4.0Ghz

edit: 40 ran 1hr intel extreme testing unit on the cpu, then one hour of realbench stress just fine on 1.10 I did several reboots to see if it had any issues posting. All this while browsing social media.

My plan is to find the limit of 1.10vcore then attempt to make it stable without changing vcore and last bumping vcore if needed. Then I will go back to 3.6ghz and set one thing from auto to manual and redo the whole thing. I'm thinking of either working on memory (only 2133 right now) or setting one of the voltages to manual so I can see what another voltage does to the system.

edit: 41 only made it about 30 minute's into intel XTU and it hit a BSOD. Just changed LLC to 5 from auto, will see if that helps: nope crashed after 10-15 minutes of XTU.

now LLC back to auto, vccio cpu from auto to 1.1: didn't help

leaving vccio cpu on 1.1 changed VRM switching from auto to 400

(I'm basically out of ideas on what to change, maybe input voltage next)

Brighttail
Level 11
Honestly you should be able to get 40 - 42 on 1.2 vcore with 30 uncore with no problems. If you can't get that stable then it is a very unlucky lottery pick.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
Honestly you should be able to get 40 - 42 on 1.2 vcore with 30 uncore with no problems. If you can't get that stable then it is a very unlucky lottery pick.

Yeah, I've been able to hit 4.5 at higher vcore (was full custom loop) but at that point in time I was just changing setting's not knowing what they were. This time around I'm not attempting for max clock's rather learn where certain limit's are and what to change to get past them. I am always open to feedback and advice, thing's are NOTHING like they were when I first started. This is the first time in recent years I've actually dedicated myself to tweaking rather than finding a mild OC and sticking with it. I'm building a z270 custom loop right now but decided to go back to this one and see if I can make heads or tails of it. This log is keeping me to my method of not flipping random switches lol. Just getting a baseline for future pushes

log:
gave up on pushing 41 @ 1.10vcore, didn't want to BSOD to many times. started back at 36 with same settings from 40 went into secondary setting's and changed a few non-OC things and tested at 36 again to make sure it was stable. I decided to up my memory speed and find something mild and stable, 2666 and 36x Had to add a touch of system agent and vcciosa and put ram to 1.35v Once I know this is stable I'll push that memory setting up to 40 and go from there.

edit: well I gave up on being extremely thorough, went to 36 and 2666 and stressed for a few hours then jumped back to 41 2666 @1.15vcore seams to be working just fine. Maybe I'll push vcore 1.20 then drop back and push ram again then back up.

1.15 failed stress, going to 1.20

Vlada011
Level 10
First I would try to set 4.0GHz with default voltage.
If he work you should give him few days if you are not in hurry, he we show stability or instability in different applications.
AIDA64 all stress test checked except HDD and GPU, Real Bench 2.44, HCI Memt Test, Intel Xtreme Tunning Utility are some standards for testing new generations of processors.
If you want to search for prime numbers than you will need better cooling because temps will be 15C higher than in these tests and you should check Prime95 version for Haswell-EX because even between different versions temperatures variation are visible.

I kept my i7-5820K several months on 4.0GHz, than I decide to set voltage to 1.2V and increase on 4.2GHz, and I didn't change anything.
Because difference in temperature become visible, it's not high, it's not danger but H100 first model is comparable with 120mm coolers today and I want to keep fans on Balanced speed. Because of that I stop with that settings. I didn't try is it possible to work on default on 4.2GHz but that would be sign that I have something nice on my RVE.
But for now I'm satisfied, I success to fix problems on beginning...most of people would RMA board on my place but that's my victory, I success and now she react on any change, every single port, slot, fan header or controller work and only problem is very old BIOS, 0603. But I don't see reason why new BIOS can destroy that. I only think on beginning she didn't breath with full lungs and she need shock with ASUS Flashback method to start to work normal. That's my conslusion.
But I still wish badly RVE10. That would be perfect board for me and I would probably invest in monoblock for her, if not for something expensive than XSPC Ion pump reservoir and one 240mm radiator. Special if price of i7-6900K drop after Ryzen show up...
He could beat some Intels, but not i7-6900K on same clock, because i7-6900K overclocked is real deal.
Completely different situation than default CPU with IntelTurboBoostMaxTechnology 3.0 (ITBM 3.0) or even 4.2-4.3GHz...