cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x99 Ram Expansion

heart_of__the__
Level 7
Hi. I have an ASUS Rog Strix x99 Gaming MB, a 6900K and 16gb (2x8) ram. They obviously run in dual channel. Now, if I bought the same kit again, could I even run them in quad channel? Would there be problems?
My ram run in xmp at 3200mhz (16/18/18/38). If I wanted to use a quad channel config, could I use the same speeds, provided I had a kit that could handle it, or is quad channel running slower?

Also, ASUS, please fix the OC issue with Broadwell-E overclocking, deleting mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll is fun and stuff, but come on...
25 REPLIES 25

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Some people find disabling hyper threading helps get rid of stuttering
Since all the meltdown and spectre mess probably security related clash with HT 😕

Most games don't use a lot of cores anyway
Why use one core and thread when you have unused real cores sitting waiting to be used which aren't under security attack

I really haven't disabled HT only for a benchmark which was ugly low so that was a short test with HT off 😄
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You know, there's this tiny program, called InSpectre. It really is a godsend.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Yes until microsoft/ defender starts punishing for disabling spectre.. and is causing bsod.... from the boogie man security threats 🙂
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's almost as if those issues were created to force people into buying new hardware...

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
I'm still waiting for my Intel performance refund 😉

AMD might be beneficiary next time around if they ever release anything but I'm in no hurry.

Memory wise choose wisely all I can say

Nothing special about rgb or 16-18-18 memory which you already have by the way it's just dual and not quad channel
Look for cheaper non rgb set same x99 compatibility and 16-18-18 if you wish too 🙂
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mulderfox
Level 7
Anyone tried surpassing the motherboard declared RAM limit? On one hand the specs say it's 128GB, but SIW software puts it at 512GB. So was anyone able to use this motherboard with more than 128GB?
Thanks.