cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTB bios chip for this board

p_delray
Level 7
Want to buy a programed bios chip that works for this board (original Rampage V Extreme).
25 REPLIES 25

Brighttail
Level 11
I had to order one for the R5E (which would work in the E.10 board) .. it came from Germany and it was off Ebay. It worked fine.

What sucked is when I checked, the US asus store had them in stock, but they refused to ship outside of the US. The Canadian store didn't have them.

I could have had it delivered to my friends in the US and have them forward it to me, but that would have taken much longer.

Asus needs to step up their game and provide these things world wide. When I called the tech support about it, they said i would have to RMA the whole board for a single $15 chip. Seriously?
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Hopper64
Level 15
Well, Arne was right. I had already ordered a chip from the eBay site on page 1 for my R5E before this thread was started. It came in and did not work. 00 q codes. Never posted. Never got into the bios.

Ordered from bios-chip24 and it came in today. Popped it in, booted with no issue at all. Bios 3301. Just have to wait but no big deal.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Thanks Arne.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Darn Hopper64...sorry you had to go through that. Glad you got a working chip now though 🙂

Hopper64
Level 15
Yea. No problem. Thanks again for the help.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Brighttail
Level 11
Glad that you got it working. When I got mine, I did a flash on it via the flashback USB drive as i didn't trust anything on it and it worked fine.

It is a real shame that Asus doesn't provide these anymore and you have to RMA it for a $15 part or buy it from potentially questionable folks.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Does bios allow bios copy from 1 chip to 2 also if other chip is same model but has nothing on it, or it looks for some asus flashed info on it and has to be specialy flashed "asus" chip?
Will the forum bugs get fixed?

Can i flash backup chip by using empty chip (same ic) in bios by copy 1 to 2?
Or asus has some special info on chip to make it harder and need special oprom programmer?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Don't know the answer to that qwertz...but you can just try it... My guess would be that it wont work.

My advice would be to buy a BIOS chip from the link I have given in this thread. http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63730052/Products/30403 and then you can be sure it will work and flash any BIOS you like to it.

Korth
Level 14
Part number for the two BIOS chips (in my R5E mobo) are Winbond "SpiFlash" W25Q128FV. They're just 8-pin DIPs, socket-mounted (not soldered) on the motherboard, easily removed and swapped with simple hand tools. Just a simple flash memory chip with 128MB (16MB) capacity, average speed, low cost, rated for <1000 write cycles. Incidentally, these exact Winbond chips have been used on every old Asus ROG motherboard I've ever seen so I expect they'll continue to use them on every new Asus ROG motherboard for years to come.

Blank W25Q128FVSIG chips are widely available for about $1 or $2 each. They can be read, written, and rewritten with the widely available CH341A Programmer which costs about $5-$10 and requires one USB port plus some free software.

So don't buy dubious stuff from compromised sources. Buy some blank chips and a programmer for the same price, you can duplicate your other BIOS chip or burn any BIOS version you like (fresh off the Asus website) without risking a single thing on your R5E motherboard.

I routinely pull all removable BIOS and firmware chips from my hardware and use a flash programmer (like the CH341A) to READ them for backup/archive purposes. I can later WRITE any firmware image or BIOS version onto these chips as needed without needing to run Asus's clumsy tools or even power on the motherboard (although I of course need to have another computer on to run the programmer hardware, lol).

You'd be amazed at all the interesting firmware you can backup, restore, (re)configure, update, or edit on things like optical disc drives/players, DVR/PVR boxes, gaming consoles, remote controls, consumer appliances, cars and trucks and motorcycles, even industrial machines. Most manufacturers choose a part of this sort because they want to support updates, so these parts are rarely codelocked and anyone who can code can hack them open.

Not sure why, but the R5E "ROG Chip" (iROG?) firmware sporadically insists on updating itself after swapping BIOS chips or versions. Sometimes things like IME or RAID get broken (and need to be reinstalled) when they shouldn't be relevant to the BIOS versions involved, I'm sure that sometimes things like memory timings and such get broken as well but I'm unaware because the EUFI/BIOS programs quietly autocorrect these faults.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Part number for the two BIOS chips (in my R5E mobo) are Winbond "SpiFlash" W25Q128FV. They're just 8-pin DIPs, socket-mounted (not soldered) on the motherboard, easily removed and swapped with simple hand tools. Just a simple flash memory chip with 128MB (16MB) capacity, average speed, low cost, rated for <1000 write cycles. Incidentally, these exact Winbond chips have been used on every old Asus ROG motherboard I've ever seen so I expect they'll continue to use them on every new Asus ROG motherboard for years to come.

Blank W25Q128FVSIG chips are widely available for about $1 or $2 each. They can be read, written, and rewritten with the widely available CH341A Programmer which costs about $5-$10 and requires one USB port plus some free software.

So don't buy dubious stuff from compromised sources. Buy some blank chips and a programmer for the same price, you can duplicate your other BIOS chip or burn any BIOS version you like (fresh off the Asus website) without risking a single thing on your R5E motherboard.

I routinely pull all removable BIOS and firmware chips from my hardware and use a flash programmer (like the CH341A) to READ them for backup/archive purposes. I can later WRITE any firmware image or BIOS version onto these chips as needed without needing to run Asus's clumsy tools or even power on the motherboard (although I of course need to have another computer on to run the programmer hardware, lol).

You'd be amazed at all the interesting firmware you can backup, restore, (re)configure, update, or edit on things like optical disc drives/players, DVR/PVR boxes, gaming consoles, remote controls, consumer appliances, cars and trucks and motorcycles, even industrial machines. Most manufacturers choose a part of this sort because they want to support updates, so these parts are rarely codelocked and anyone who can code can hack them open.

Not sure why, but the R5E "ROG Chip" (iROG?) firmware sporadically insists on updating itself after swapping BIOS chips or versions. Sometimes things like IME or RAID get broken (and need to be reinstalled) when they shouldn't be relevant to the BIOS versions involved, I'm sure that sometimes things like memory timings and such get broken as well but I'm unaware because the EUFI/BIOS programs quietly autocorrect these faults.

Thanks. Il try get one of those dollar chips to test if onboard bios copy features allow copy to empty chip also without programmer.