cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows issue with overclocking

sultan_of_swing
Level 9
Have been running my Rampage V Extreme for a while no without issues, well every since build 17063 and forward on my system (6850k) My overclock will not work, I've been overclocking since Pentium days and have not figured this out. No matter what power plan I use the CPU will not use my BIOS settings. I have went back and forth between stable and developer preview and it works fine in stable but not in the preview. No bios settings were changed between the 2.
Anyone else on the developer preview and seeing this?
CPU voltage settings work, Memory settings work. Not sure what the cause could be.
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
sultan.of.swing wrote:
Have been running my Rampage V Extreme for a while no without issues, well every since build 17063 and forward on my system (6850k) My overclock will not work, I've been overclocking since Pentium days and have not figured this out. No matter what power plan I use the CPU will not use my BIOS settings. I have went back and forth between stable and developer preview and it works fine in stable but not in the preview. No bios settings were changed between the 2.
Anyone else on the developer preview and seeing this?
CPU voltage settings work, Memory settings work. Not sure what the cause could be.

Can you be more specific as to what's actually happening?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Can you be more specific as to what's actually happening?

I am running a 4.4ghz overclock on my 6850k, it has been working fine up until Windows developer Preview 17063 and newer. Now the CPU will not run the Overclock that I was running before, BIOS settings have all remained the same. No matter what the power setting is In Windows it will not go over 3.8ghz. My BIOS overclock I have all cores synced at a Multiplier of 44. Here are 2 pictures, 1st one is in the latest stable windows build and the second one is in the newest developer preview. BIOS settings are sticking as I see my OCPanel is still showing my multiplier at 44, Vcore is correct in windows as is my RAM speed. If I roll back to the last stable version the overclock works.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
What happens to both the CPU load and clock speed when running a stress test like XTU? Try installing the latest chipset drivers.

Silent Scone wrote:
What happens to both the CPU load and clock speed when running a stress test like XTU? Try installing the latest chipset drivers.

I have the latest chipset driver already that is listed for the Rampage V Extreme.
Under full load 5 cores stay at 3.8 and the "best" core goes to 4.0. This isn't the correct behavior as I have all cores synced in bios at 44.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Strange, seems almost like a ucode bug. You can try the latest UEFI version if you haven't done so already.

Silent Scone wrote:
Strange, seems almost like a ucode bug. You can try the latest UEFI version if you haven't done so already.

I've been on the newest BIOS for a while now.

vmanuelgm
Level 11
Try deactivating virtualization and c-states.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

vmanuelgm wrote:
Try deactivating virtualization and c-states.

I ended up just going back to stable build.