Level 7
Hi all,

I have a new build with the following specs:

MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme/USB3.1
CPU: Intel i7-5930k, currently not OC'ed
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X (EVGA Overclocked version)
SSD (Win 10 boot drive): Intel 750 Series PCIe AIC 1.2TB Internal SSD
HDD: Western Digital Red Pro 4TB NAS
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Mechanical
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

I installed Windows 10 Pro on the Intel SSD, installation went smoothly. I updated all of the drivers from the Asus web site, and am
currently running those. Everything runs fine, mostly web browing with Chrome, MS Office apps and Quicken. I have sleep turned
off, and system is stable.

The only problem is when I try to run the two games I've got installed, GuildWars 2 and Skyforge, they both get blue screens after
approximately 1 to 5 minutes from starting them up. This is happens 100% of the time. I've tried many, many things to isolate the problem, but so far, no dice.

Some of the things I've done, that haven't helped:

1. Reseated the Titan X in the 1st PCI slot.
2. Removed the memory modules and installed them in reverse order in the same red slots.
3. Manually checked all connections on the motherboard (and elsewhere) to make sure they're attached well,
4. Inspected front and back of motherboard for possible contact with any loose wires or with other components that might
cause shorts.
5. Ran memory and stress tests on system using Asus PC Diagnotics program.
6. Tried turning down the overclocking on the Titan X using the Asus Precision X program. I don't know if this does anything
because the GPU board may be "hard-wired" to the overclocked speed.

There's one anomaly that I see in the UEFI Bios. It recognizes my RAM (all 32Gb) but it says the clock speed on the RAM
is 2133hz. I don't know if this is a problem, or if the Bios, by default, doesn't recognize anything over 2133 hz, which I thought
I read somewhere.

Anyway, if any of you are using a high-end graphics card on this motherboard with Windows 10, and have had seemingly random
BSODs when running games only, and have any solutions, recommendations, or additional information about this setup, I'd really
appreciate your response.

Since many of you are like me and have spent a small fortune to build a system for gaming primarily, I'm sure you can understand
that this is really frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.
19 REPLIES 19

coyi1895
Level 10
There'd be minidump files created after the BSOD which can give finer clues where the problem lies. If you don't know how to read the minidump files then maybe someone here can or go to forums that can read them for you.

Anyhow, wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.

Hopper64
Level 15
The bios recognizes all of your memory at 2133 is normal and default. You would need to run an XMP profile in the bios to achieve 2666, but you may have to tweak some settings to get it stable. You are not overclocking the CPU, so that's not the issue either.

I would review the forums for those 2 games to see if there's an issue reported by other people running those games.

You may also try running RealBench too to see if the system is stable at the default settings you have currently.

I'm running a similar system and I have had no blue screens in the flight sim I play periodically.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Chino
Level 15
All memory defaults to 2133MHz. You need to enable XMP or setup it up manually for it to run at its advertised speed.

Thanks guys, good information and suggestions.

I have used WhoCrashed to look at the minidump analysis (brief as it is) for my dumps, and I've also submitted a post to the "BSOD crashes and debugging" forum on TenForums.com. Hoping to get some help there also.

Hopper64, I will look at the game forums - good suggestion. I'll also try RealBench, and let you guys know how it goes.

Game On.

Chino
Level 15
Try running other games apart from those two to see if the BSODs happen. Also do some testing with synthetic benchmarks like Unigine Heaven or 3DMark.

Ok. I checked the game forums for GW2 and Skyforge and nothing turned up. I Ran RealBench 2.4 and the Benchmark test ran fine for 1 run. I then switched to the Stress Test with all the tests checked, Duration: 1 hour, using full 32GB memory. Unfortunately, I then left the system and when I came back the pc had rebooted, and I found a BSOD minidump that apparently occured within a couple of minutes from when I started the stress test up.

The BSOD pointed to ntoskrnl.exe with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL debug code. I've gotten this same code associated with ntoskrnl.exe at least two other times when playing the games.

My next step is to start the Stress Test again, but stay and watch it and monitor CPU/GPU temperatures.

I haven't gotten a minidump analysis yet from the good people at tenforums.com yet, but I'm watching for it.

Chino, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try both of them: running other games and trying other synthetic benchmarks.

champe wrote:
Ok. I checked the game forums for GW2 and Skyforge and nothing turned up. I Ran RealBench 2.4 and the Benchmark test ran fine for 1 run. I then switched to the Stress Test with all the tests checked, Duration: 1 hour, using full 32GB memory. Unfortunately, I then left the system and when I came back the pc had rebooted, and I found a BSOD minidump that apparently occured within a couple of minutes from when I started the stress test up.

The BSOD pointed to ntoskrnl.exe with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL debug code. I've gotten this same code associated with ntoskrnl.exe at least two other times when playing the games.

My next step is to start the Stress Test again, but stay and watch it and monitor CPU/GPU temperatures.

I haven't gotten a minidump analysis yet from the good people at tenforums.com yet, but I'm watching for it.

Chino, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try both of them: running other games and trying other synthetic benchmarks.

Either HCI Memtest for Windows or the Google Stress App for Linux Mint found by Raja are very good programs for memory testing.

@Chino, I have memtest86+ on a USB memory stick, but haven't been able to get it to boot to try it out. I'll look into HCI Memtest and see if it might be of use. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopper64
Level 15
Makes me wonder about your memory. What stress test are you using for that? The old stress test I used in the past is useless per Praz.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro