cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 = massive post problems

chemoletter
Level 7
hi guys,

after installing windows 10 two days ago i've experienced some really odd behaviour from my computer. ( see my specs at my profile pls ).
first of all i have:

1. upgraded from win 8.1 with complete wiping of all previous data
2. installed the latest graphics drivers
3. latest BIOS 1502 is installed
4. AI suite 3 is installed
5. for monitoring confirming my hardware i use AI Suite 3, HWMonitor, CPU-Z and ressourcemonitor

now the huge problem i cannot get around: to get my DDR4 kit working at the stock 2800mhz i always turned on XMP in BIOS in the past.
this was a no brainer solution, it gave me a reasonable margin to overclock to a stable 3.8 GHz with a few clicks. i was totally happy with that setting -
no voltage tweaking, no extremes, no worries.

now, after the win10 install, my AI Suite went nuts. the XMP was turned off, BCLK 100, Strap 100, Ram at 2133. So my cpu is running comfortably at 3GHz. LOL!
ANY attempt to turn XMP back on in BIOS results in crash even before the windows screen. The XMP setting would set strap to 125 and BCLK to 127.3 which seems odd to me
anyways. but it worked just fine before. (also the 1200 Mhz in AISuite 3 look quite awful to me... )

so my option is to set XMP on, have 3GHz only and ram at 2800, or have it turned off, have higher cpu speed but 2133Mhz RAM. what the hell?

Also an annoying thing is that AISuite 3 seems to change its interface at will, sometimes displaying the cpu-adjustment-thing in different
ways: only numbers with voltages or the one i post hereafter or the one where it shows the cpu cores as graphics
of cylinders. what is going on here?

can anybody help?
4 REPLIES 4

chemoletter
Level 7
i should correct my post: do you think win10 has something to do with my problem or am i missing something crucial here?

GoNz0-
Level 10
do a clean install now you have completed the upgrade to get your win 10 licence. you can download the correct ISO from microsoft (google it) then install it after formatting your windows drive.

an upgrade wiping data is not a clean install and it is buggy as you have found out.

I did the upgrade and a clean install in one go rather than risk an issue. And I have no issues.

Chino
Level 15
A few points to take into consideration.

1. Usually overclock settings from one BIOS won't carry over too well to another version. You'd need to tweak your overclock manually.

2. You should avoid using multiple monitoring programs as they will cause polling issues and give you wrong readings.

As a sidenote, I also use XMP for my DDR4-3000MHz kit and I'm currently testing Windows 10. I have found no problems with it.

chemoletter
Level 7
problem solved!

so, as usual after my panic sets, i figure things out (by luck). did a clean install of win10 - no improvement... but still a good thing to do! then in the BIOS i saw that i left the intel speedstep tech was on. so that was the problem of course. now everything is fine. thank you for your help guys.