* Rampage V
* Intel 5096
* 16GB HyperX (Kingston) DDR4 RAM
* EVGA 970
* Samsung SSD
* WD 1TB 7200RPM SATA
* Asus Optical
* Corsair HT110 GT

I started a new system build this weekend. After getting everything into the case and making sure the system posted I installed a full brand new install of Win10 Pro. Everything went well. I had the whole thing installed and even was able to do several restarts while installing drivers, etc. The problem arose when I shut down the computer. I was going to attempt to dual boot into Ubuntu. It would never boot past the ROG screen. At that point I couldn't even boot into Windows.

Now, I know that you might be thinking that I screwed something up in the boot. Here's the thing. I never got Ubuntu to install or even boot to the installer so I couldn't get to even work with partitions!

I fiddled around with the UEFI settings. Evenually I was able to get the system to boot from the repair startup function of the Win10 DVD to boot. I worked around some more and then did some graphics card tests. I then played with a wrong setting which caused a game to glitch and caused a reboot. It wouldn't make it past the ROG screen again!

I slept on it last night. This morning I screwed around with the UEFI settings again and was able to get back into Windows10 again through the boot repair. IDK why this worked but at this point I noticed I did something wrong with my partition setup and decided that I'd go through and make sure I had all the UEFI settings correct and would reinstall so that possibly I could use Ubuntu on a separate partition on my SSD.

I reinstalled and made sure that I had my partitions correct. I was able to setup the OS and go through reboots and all. I even shut it down once and was able to get back into windows no problem. I then tried to boot Ubuntu again. I couldn't get it to work. It then started doing the same crap again where it wouldn't boot anymore. Just sit at the ROG logo.

Then again it started working! I don't know what I did! I decided I would stop messing with Ubuntu. At this point I was able to start and stop the machine without issue. I installed all my dev stuff, Android Studio and Visual Studio. I went to setup some virtual machine stuff, Intel HAXM, for running AVDs, and realized VT-d wasn't turned on. I rebooted, went to the BIOS, turned on VT-d, and then rebooted. Damn't if I can't get back to windows again!

I've now tried everything. I've deleted all the keys to disable secure boot. I've completely disabled the legacy mode. I can't get a boot from the CD and I can't get a boot from the Windows Boot Manager.

This is ridiculous! I had the system up much longer and I was able to do some basic stress testing. I don't want to reformat but IDK what the heck is going on at this point. I am stumpted. I'm not getting any temperature warnings. I've run a couple games for 30 or so minutes.

How can I reliably boot to Windows 10? I really wish I had a Win7 install now!
22 REPLIES 22

mikejr83
Level 7
Aggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!

So after sitting around for the afternoon and doing some work getting a few more things like I like them I shut down the computer and moved it to the office. IT WON'T BOOT!!! WHAT THE HELL!

At this point I'm ready to throw the whole damn thing away! What a waste of a two days.

mikejr83
Level 7
Well crap I guess my other post never made it. Wonderful. Ha. I guess that is because I posted it from that machine!

Earlier I gave up and decided that I'd wait for a response here. I sat and went through the best amount of cable management in case I had to pull out a bunch of stuff. I put on the back case over and for giggles decided to boot. Well damn, it booted. I was actually able to reboot and do a bunch of other stuff.

So then I moved it to the office and I'm back to square one.

😞 😞 😞 😞

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Hey Mike,

Did you ever test your RAM? Test the system with 1 stick at a time and see if you are still having these problems. Based on what you wrote down so far I don't think you did anything wrong and I think it sounds like a hardware issue. The X99 have a lot of memory issues that cause strange problems, my friend's system that I built had memory issues as well. It took me like 3 weeks of time before I realized that we just need to try different set of RAM and then I messed around with the settings and finally got his system to run stable.

mikejr83
Level 7
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure the board had 13xx on it when I first checked. At the first sign of problems I went to the latest at the time of 1502. When I went into full research mode to see if I could fix the issue I found the thread for 1601. I flashed that when I thought everything was fine, moved it to the office, and then had issues again.

Well, I may have some good news. Hopefully reporting this won't cause chaos! I'm knocking on wood just to be safe.

After the machine doing the same thing again when in the office I pulled the whole monster of a case that is the Cosmos II back out to the work area. I pulled everything off the motherboard. I got some denatured alcohol and removed the thermal compound from the waterblock and the CPU. Memory, USB 3.1 card, and the EVGA card came out. I went over everything to make sure nothing was miss pinned or something odd grounding. I checked all the power connections.

I started adding things back. I original got some arctic silver to do the build, but the HT110 GT came with thermal compound on the waterblock. I wasn't too impressed with it but since it was there I decided to use it. Well, since I pulled it off I had to redo it so I was much happier applying my own choice of thermal compound. In hindsight I may have gone a little thick but... I'll come back to that in a sec. When placing the CPU back in the socket I gave it a touch on all sides to make sure that it was seated down to the pins correctly.

Next I made sure the RAM was in the right DIMMs and that everything was perfectly seated. I added in the GPU and again made sure that it was seated perfectly. I made sure that it wasn't sagging and that it had good pressure along the whole PCIe slot. I checked both my EVGA card's and PSU's manuals on selecting the correct VGA power cords. The EVGA comes with a 6+2 connector and I wanted to be sure that there wasn't another cord that I should be using.

I decided not to add the 3.1 card back as I don't have any devices that need it and there are a ton of 3.0 ports on this board so I should be good.

After going through everything one more time and making sure that nothing was unpinned and no wires could short the board I took it back in the office and hooked up the monitors and pressed the power button.

Well it booted. ON THE FIRST GO!

I made sure that nothing was a miss with the HDDs and then decided to open up Warframe for some stress testing and relief. After playing for an hour at full clip I decided to shut the machine down and see if it would boot. IT DID!

The big test would be if it would boot this morning. Well... I'm posting this from that machine. It booted fine.

I'm not sure what the issue was. Something not seated right? Perhaps. I heard that 2013v3 sockets can be picky. Perhaps a pin wasn't lined up on the GPU just right...It could have been something thermal that made it fine under a cold boot but fail a post when the board was hot.

Now back to the thermal compound. I think I may have been a little too liberal in its application. My only other highend rig had an open loop swiftec setup (years ago, socket 775 BTW) and it held temps pretty much within a 5-10 degree range no matter what I did. This system fluctuates a little more. However, I think that I'm about a degree or two cooler on average with the arctic silver. Could be placebo, but I'm much more comfortable knowing that I have something there which I've used on a few other builds with success.

Anyhow, the true test is if I can leave it powered on while I go out and fly some RC and then come back to fire up AndroidStudio and load up some apps that I've been working on. Hopefully I can actually dual boot this thing so I can get into Ubuntu and really get my dev back on!

Mike

BTW here's a bit about me. I was a bit frustrated before and didn't leave any kind of introduction. I've done water cooling in the past with success. I've built a machines for others but never myself. I've salvaged laptops and harvested things I found on the side of the road to make print servers, etc. This is my first full personal build where I went for maximum power. It's been a while since I've been hands on with anything of this caliber and I've been kind of pressed to get a working computer back online. My last machine, an iMac, was setup and spec'd to last a pretty long time. I bought it in late 2007 when the Core 2 Extreme became an option. It lasted me for 8 years. I consider that pretty good. My Vaio before that didn't last all that long, only 5, but it was my testbed for water cooling and general shenanigans. Hopefully this new machine with the setup that I picked will expand and last for 10 years. I'm ready to order another EVGA and 16GB more of RAM if this is stable. I'm also itching to get in there and start messing around and see if I can get a decent clock on the CPU. I'd like to get to 3.9 or 4. We'll see!

I'll keep everything posted here if I'm stable or not.

Thanks Again!

Chino
Level 15
The dot/rice/grain/bean/etc... method works fine for applying thermal compound. Also take into consideration that thermal compounds like Artic Silver has a curing time. 😛

I would recommend you avoid combining memory kits whenever possible even if they are identical models. There is never a 100% guarantee that they will work together. Rather go for a single memory kit with the capacity of your choice.

Started checking components against the QVL. I thought I did this when I put the order together.

Memory - NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104528 - Shows up in the QVL for DDR 3000 (as I thought)
4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the red and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

What does that mean? That seems wrong. The manual, page 1-11, shows it in banks A_1, B_1, C_1, D_1. What I think are all the red slots, correct?

SSD - SAMSUNG 850 PRO MZ-7KE256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147360
Not explicitly named in any of the QVLs but how could this be an issue?

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076
Again, not on any QVL but it's a PCIe 3.0 NVIDIA GTX 970!

My EVGA PSU isn't explicitly listed but again, it's a 1000W platinum 80. I seriously doubt this is an issue.

The H110i GT is just a closed loop watercooler used on a ton of different sockets, 2013 included. It keeps the nominal temps at 37 degrees. That shouldn't be hot, right?! I think the mainboard temps run around 38ish.

I threw together a "wish list" of everything I ordered: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20844954

Let me know what I'm doing wrong!

mikejr83
Level 7
Well. Back to square f'n one on the diagnostics. Let a few things download while I was out and then came home and try to play some 1080p video I recorded. Seemed glitchy at full screen. Noticed that I had a stream game finish downloading so I loaded that up to check out how it would work. Played for 20 or so minutes and then went to try doing a bit of tweaking on its settings to increase the look. Got glitchy. Since I had been alt+tab between that and the GPU monitor thought perhaps I should just reboot to clean up everything. Can't make it back to windows. 😠

I don't know what to do. There are no lights on the board that are giving me any indication of bad anything. One of the LEDs by the 12 pin MB stays lit for a few secs till it actually attempts to boot. It goes out though. It might be be the boot device or vga light. I can't tell.

I'm not mixing any RAM. I cleared the CMOS and started from scratch. Nothing. I give up. What's newegg's return policy on some of this hardware?

Artureld
Level 7
Hey mikejr83,

From what I've read and personally done is populate the red RAM slots as highlighted by the user manual. So I don't believe there is an issue there.

Secondly I have the 850 Pro working in RAID and it works just fine so far. I am using an M.2 as a boot drive but I am pretty sure you should have no issues with the SSD on the RVE.

Finally, the graphics card should be fine too. Wouldn't expect any issues with the RVE as its a farily new graphics card that supports all the features that the motherboard has to offer.

37c seems okay depending on what your ambient temperatures are and what the CPU is OCed to. What one needs to worry about mostly is load temperature and whether that stays below a set bracket (varies between CPU). Ambient temperature is very variable, I'd imagine anything below 40c to be more then adequate in a warm climate.

Looking through your list I can't think of a single component that would cause any issue. Have you tried testing the RAM one DIMM at a time? See whether that helps. What I've noticed with the initial stages of the RVE was that it was very sensitive to any XMP related OC, however BIOS updates seemed to have rectified the problem for me thus far.