cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the R5E get the same Auto-overclock feature as the other ASUS X99 boards?

yahknow1
Level 7
Listening to JJ and Paul from Newegg discuss the X99 boards and their "Auto-overclocking features" made me really want it. The way it sounds is a semi-pro level OC in a fraction of the time, all dependent on MY individual cooling/RAM/CPU quality etc...In fact, I purchased the R5E thinking I was getting this when in fact the feature isn't included in our software. According to JJ, "All the hardware's there and it may be implemented at a later date, but it's not there."

(watch 00:32:38 through 00:36:55)

My hope is that the feature will arrive for our board soon if for nothing else but a starting point for a manual OC.

1) Does anyone have information as to why ASUS's flagship gaming board wouldn't come with this feature FIRST, before the other X99 boards?

2)If the feature is coming soon or at all? Is the CPU Level Up app as good when used with the other utilities included with our board? Again, I can't imagine why we don't have this? :mad:
25 REPLIES 25

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The dynamic overclocking feature of the channel (mainstream) boards will not be added to the R5E. ROG boards have never had this feature as the customer base is normally more proficient with manual overclocking and this would be of limited value. Instead the ROG boards have added features that are less suited for the plug n' play type customer.

Praz wrote:
for the plug n' play type customer.

I'd say with the Price premium this board carries, having this as a plug-n-play feature is far from unreasonable?

yahknow1 wrote:
I'd say with the Price premium this board carries, having this as a plug-n-play feature is far from unreasonable?

Hello

Unreasonable? No. Unnecessary for the targeted buyer and the majority that actually purchase the board, yes.

Chino
Level 15
Well, the Rampage 5 Extreme is directed to a different crowd. The majority of users who buy a Rampage 5 Extreme already know what they're doing. If not, we have a lot of guides and content here to help you out.

Chino wrote:
Well, the Rampage 5 Extreme is directed to a different crowd. The majority of users who buy a Rampage 5 Extreme already know what they're doing. If not, we have a lot of guides and content here to help you out.

I agree with what you're saying,
And yet - This technology can be very helpful for easier identifying the OC "quality" of a cpu, and as they repeatedly mentioning a great starting point for individual fine tuning.
Also the fact that X99 platform appeared to be not very far from previous generations from the money cost point of view in many places around the globe, I assume this wonderful community is (or will soon) grow larger with a variety of people with different experience levels. This model can be bought by many passionate gamers and editors that are not always keen to alter every aspect, and still want to enjoy this extremely good piece of hardware.
ROG motherboards are surely intended (or maybe *directed* as you said will be more accurate) for consumers of a certain interest and passion for manual and overtime learning/using, but I personally see no reason to completely prevent the usage of this feature, instead of perhaps giving it as an option to choose from.

yahknow1
Level 7
Well I agree with you of course Nocturney and hope that what JJ said in the video comes true and ASUS introduces the auto-tune feature? He made it sound like there's a good chance it'll happen?

In the meantime I'm trying to get my toes wet on a manual OC, I've gotten some great info here so far, but the idea of turning the knobs manually on this expensive toy is going to take some getting used to!

jonstatt
Level 7
If it's something that has already been developed and can be simply offered on the R5E with no additional development time, then it would be quite interesting to see it work. I understand the ROG boards are designed for more experienced Overclockers, but I think the market adoption is broader now, particularly as the R5E contains ALL of the features of the other versions of the X99 board (such as the improved audio and WiFi offerings). Therefore I think we are seeing more amateur overclockers adopt this board. So, if it can be implemented fairly simply, then why not?! 🙂

Raja
Level 13
It's not simple to add which is why it isn't being done.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
It's not simple to add which is why it isn't being done.

Hi Raja. Okay, at least that's a clear answer to both points (it isn't simple, and it isn't being done). Nice to have a definitive answer even if it isn't what some would want to hear 🙂