cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my computer randomly not POST?

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
I've had this random problem for years it seems like, but once in awhile, and well, it's been happening moreso lately than other times, my computer will not post. Other times, I'll hear two beeps upon start up. The first beep is what's exacted and the other beep is a completely different tone, much higher pitched.

When my computer doesn't post, I use the Reset CMOS button in the back, put my BIOS settings back to default, restore what settings I need (basically M.2, Booting from PCIe for WOL and enabling virtualization). I otherwise do not have any overclocking settings.

I recently swapped out my RAM, and the problem did not go away, nor did it get worse. So, I doubt that's the culprit. My PC is connected to my monitor via DisplayPort. Don't know if there's some sort of compatibility issue there or not. I tend to think (but am not sure) that my computer will not POST under certain weather conditions. I'm in Southern California, not in the mountains. Weather isn't crazy here and my bedroom is usually kept in the mid to latter 70s degree temperature range.

Any thoughts as to why I've seemingly had this problem?
10 REPLIES 10

I finally ordered the parts, I'm not sure what took me so long.

for the Type-C card, I ordered this but I received something else. I imagine it should work, once I know how to install it.

Ordered this (USB 3.1 Card) :92404

Received this (USB 3.2 Gen 2):92403

Where does it plug into? My only experience plugging in such card is the PCI slot, so I'm a bit confused. That's the short black slot in between the last two red slots, correct? Should I plug this card into one of the red slots or do I plug it in at the black slot? That would be a bit impossible since it's currently covered up by my GPU, which is placed where it is because of my cooler blocking the top port. I would have to side mount.