cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of performance would I get with the RTX 4090 on this board?

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
My PC is still thriving, 8 years later. I don't dare want to get rid of it yet, but my video card is the only thing holding it back for now. I've got the GTX 980 SC'd, which was great in its day, but it doesn't handle the Ultra 1080p games that's out nowadays all that well.

I've so far seen one benchmark of the 4090 on a PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot. Compared to PCIe 4.0, there isn't much of a difference. In fact, it would appear that the RTX 3090s perform better than the RTX 4090 at lower resolutions (like 1080p or 1440p, for instance).

Thoughts? Would my computer even boot up with the RTX 4090? I'm on a Rampage V Extreme and the 5960x CPU.
6 REPLIES 6

world
Your 5960x will be bottlenecking the 4090 quite a bit.

Unless you're planning on upgrading your cpu/motherboard sometime soon, I would say it's probably not worth pairing the 4090 with the old hardware!

Of course, it depends on what you're playing and what kind of FPS goals you have too

pndiode
Level 11
Yes!

I do not know how accurate (not updated) these calculators are but try it. See what might happen.

https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/

or

https://www.cpuagent.com/fps-bottleneck-calculator

xeromist
You would be able to run the GPU but your CPU will hold you back, especially if you only need 1080p. Such an expensive card would be wasteful. You could get perfectly acceptable performance from a used 2080 or 3070 and save money for the next whole-system upgrade.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

You will be CPU limited in many situations with anything below 4K, and even then still fairly so. The 4090 will bottleneck an overclocked 12900K at 4K in certain scenarios.

That's not to deter you, but you should consider upgrading the rest of your system - or perhaps consider something other than a 4090.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Daytrader
Level 11
PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot. Compared to PCIe 4.0 is zero difference, even PCIe 5.0 would make zero difference, thats reason nvidia did not even make 4090 compatible with it, i am using 4090 with my 7 yearold 6700K cpu, and it runs great, but i play at 4K.

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
Thanks all for the replies. I'm only interested in bettering the performance of Microsoft Flight Simulator. According to MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner, my GPU is what is severely limiting performance, as it approaches the high 90 % range, while the CPU usage is quite low by comparison. I'm currently on a 10-year old monitor, 1080p, which still works today. Until it no longer works, I'm not interested in upgrading it, either. At 27", if/when I need to upgrade, I may go for a 32" 4K monitor. This is for a computer desk, so viewing distance is roughly the length of my arm, maybe slightly more. I did upgrade my RAM just over a year ago to 64GB and I've only used about half that amount when purposely throwing everything at it. (MSFS Flight Sim on Ultra plus many browser windows open). I imagine the RAM usage would've been higher, if my GPU hadn't bottlenecked the system.

I think for now, I'm going to look into adding a SSD, particularly if I can get my hands on an 8TB SSD for a good price for Black Friday. I'm currently seeing them for about $650 on both Amazon and NewEgg. I also have a 10TB HDD which is too slow in terms of performance for what I need it for, basically Hyper-V (VMs).