cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade memory on R5E and 6850K

phantom101
Level 7
Trying to learn about memory and stuff. I have 16GB of memory - 2 8gb sticks- in my custom build rig which was built in 2016. I'd like to upgrade it to 32Gb. My first thought was to just add another 16gb but I can't find the exact brand of Corsair memory that was put into my build 3 years ago. I've also read that it's better to put the same memory kits and not try to match.

I have the Intel 6850K with the stated 16Gb of Corsair Dominator memory and a GE Force 1080 GPU. When I had this rig built in August 2016, the CPU and GPU's had just come out. It runs fine but I'd like to increase performance and I understand increasing memory is a good way to do that.

Please note the attachment as it shows the memory part number and timings. Any light anyone can provide for me is appreciated.

Thanks,

Phantom101
23 REPLIES 23

phantom101 wrote:
Hey ThrashZone:

If I wanted to stay with my Corsair Dominator, I see two items that are the same and the same price on Newegg and Amazon ($245.99). I am an Amazon Prime member so I'd get free two day shipping with them. Both are model number CMT32GX4M4C3200C16. I'm liking the RBG models and I know I'd have to download the iCue software to run the lights.

URLs for the two product sites:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236508?Item=N82E16820236508&Descri...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3HCVVW?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=X7...

The lights would add a nice touch to my PC. The main thing with these are that the timings are the same as what I'm running now, 16-18-18-36. The only difference I see is that my memory is running at 1.20volts and these are listed as 1.35. I wonder if my system would lower that voltage??? Or would the different voltage make a big difference?

I'm assuming these would pop right into my motherboard and I would be ready to go. I may have to check the bios to see if I need to move some memory setting to 3200.

Thanks for answering all my rookie questions. I hope I'm not wearing you out too much.

phantom101

Hi,
I've posted to C14 and C15 both 3200 and you pull C16 out your rear end again with garbage timings
I give up buy mediocre memory again :doh:
That C16 corsair is crap

If you want the best memory then use this,

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
I've posted to C14 and C15 both 3200 and you pull C16 out your rear end again with garbage timings
I give up buy mediocre memory again :doh:
That C16 corsair is crap

If you want the best memory then use this,

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Sorry, just having trouble digesting all this stuff. I am grateful for your help in my memory education. Thx.

phantom101

Vlada011
Level 10
Dominator Platinum or Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz 4x8GB are best choice for RVE/X99 at the moment.

Vlada011 wrote:
Dominator Platinum or Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz 4x8GB are best choice for RVE/X99 at the moment.

I wound up buying an RGB CL15 3000 MHz Dominator 4x8GB. I was surprised the lights lit up and had some profile built in? I haven't downloaded the iCue software. The system picked them up so later I can play with some tweaking. The CL14 was just too pricey for me.

Well, the first thing I tried was to enable XMP which allowed me to pick one profile. I did that, saved it and exited. The machine wouldn't boot past the initial windows screen...with the circle of dots. It just hung there and I had to force power down, via the button, and it came back up and Windows showed it was doing a repair. It then gave me a choice of just restarting or going into safe mode. I chose just restart and was able to get into bios and disable XMP. I then saved and exited the bios and windows came up and has been running normally.

Any suggestions for a next step by step procedure?

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
That 3200C14 4x8gb kit is now back down to under 300.us sold and shipped from newegg lol too funny 😄
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
That 3200C14 4x8gb kit is now back down to under 300.us sold and shipped from newegg lol too funny 😄

Well, that sucks!!! Good for someone who's looking now. That hurts my feelings!

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
You just wanted the arrgeebee nonsense

Quite a few people ask questions but already made up their minds 🙂
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As it turns out, I love the RGB nonsense. 🙂 I did think you'd need the iCue software to run it but it appears to have a single profile running that I like.

More important now is that now I need to learn about memory timings so I can squeeze out a little more performance. I'm researching that now. Looking for a guide to help me along.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
If i want lighting I'll get strip lights
As it is I have one arrgeebee fan just to see what my water level is in my reservoir.

Corsair memory have two xmp profiles that's usually as far as they might go on the sloppy loose timings they use.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]