cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Strange Q-Codes when booting

kosamchetoo
Level 7
Are these Codes normal? I mean some don't even look like numbers.
Using a Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming Motherboard. In the one where the last code is"AA" fast startup is disabled and the one where the last code is "40" - fast startup is enabled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ove-3OtPTto&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjIWB5g0xA&feature=youtu.be
6 REPLIES 6

SimondsUnchaind
Level 7

Thank you very much for your reply.

During the boot, are the codes like "b0", "b1", "bd" normal because they are not just numbers, but letters too? I know what "AA" and "40" codes mean. I am confused about the codes during the boot.

kosamchetoo wrote:
During the boot, are the codes like "b0", "b1", "bd" normal because they are not just numbers, but letters too? I know what "AA" and "40" codes mean. I am confused about the codes during the boot.

Totally normal. The 'b' codes are for boot devices. The list of codes and their definitions are in the manual.

Korth
Level 14
@kosamchetoo - lol, the numeric codes are written in hexadecimal ("base 16"), not decimal ("base 10"). Hex is written with digits 0 through 9 (for decimal 0 through 9), then A through F (for decimal 10 through 15) - possible values on the 2-digit Q-Code hex display range from 00 hex (= 0 dec) through FF hex (= 255 dec), although they aren't all used in this application. Programmers and computer folk use hex as a shorthand for binary, and binary logic is used for all the firmware's machine-level code (or microcode) interfaces. Technically, one is supposed to append "-h" to hex values (like B0h) to prevent confusion.

Most of the possible Q-Codes are described in the R5E User Manual. It is normal for them to fluctuate during runtime as they report operating status changes for many different things - the idea is that when the system halts/crashes/fails, the last displayed Q-Code will indicate what operation caused the critical fault or what operation was happening just before it, the Q-Codes run in motherboard-embedded firmware and are a powerful tool for identifying and isolating problems caused by hardware, they greatly simplify and speed up troubleshooting.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hopper64
Level 15
Aren't some of the codes he mentions for memory training? If so, that can be minimized by bios tweaks.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro