cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Issues

RickROG
Level 11
Quite a while ago I experienced some fairly serious stability/BIOS issues regarding USB 3 devices-installation/operation. Of course, somehow, all of it went away without "warning" and I'm left wandering.....WHAT... 🙂
I finally may have figured it out and have tried this on 3 fresh installs plus whenever I'm adding/subtracting from. I have two identical external HDD enclosures housing two identical HDD. If I activate both devices without going through my adopted procedure forget it...the system boots into the BIOS, I cannot boot at all from the current BIOS to a host of other random no warning glitches.
I activate them now one by one so that upon installing the first one I go into Computer Management>Disk Management and reassign that USB 3 device to a another drive letter manually; something near the end of the alphabet-L for instance. Then I install the second one and repeat that procedure manually assigning it to say drive letter M. Perfect-no worries, all is heaven. 🙂
I'm not sure, but, upon one of my attempts to get these two in particular installed and functioning I noticed in the driver install dialog when one first turns the devices on one by one letting the first finish before turning on the second one, Windows was assigning both the same drive letter! Manually assigning the drive letters particularly for these two fixed that. 🙂
Just thought I would share....
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"
11 REPLIES 11

funky29cro
Level 7
Well i am overclocking for over 10 years and worked on allot overclocked computers and this is first time usb has anything to do with oc , cpu was not oced memory was at binned speed and timings and stable before that 2 weeks passing all toughest memory and cpu stress tests , that tells me there is something wrong with motherboard hardware ,as oc failure/unstability will show under toughest loads but not this board this is first other way around . Well ill start investigation on all other x99 chipset motherboard forums and all of them also should follow new usb3 spec and new intel usb standards or whatever ,if they dont have usb problems then all our r5e boards are faulty .

........if they dont have usb problems then all our r5e boards are faulty .

Actually my concern is fixed; turned out to be an incompatable/faulty mouse. As soon as I changed my mouse out the problems went away. 🙂
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"