Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV & WD External Hard Drives Stop OS load when Connected during Boot

Eyejon
Level 8
System:

Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Super Tower Computer Case
ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, Extended ATX x99 Motherboard , LGA 2011-V3 Socket, DDR4 3300Mhz+(OC)
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 memory kit for DDR4 Systems
Two - ASUS Graphics Cards STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Two - WD Black 4TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache WD4003FZEX
Two - WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup
Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fans
Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fans
NZXT Technologies Sentry 3 5.4-Inch Touch Screen Fan Controller Cooling
CORSAIR AX1500I 80+TTNM FM ATX
G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
G303 Daedalus Apex Performance Edition Gaming Mouse
Dell 2405FPW monitor
Samsung UN65HU8550 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (25 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]

When restarting my computer I have to power down the pc, turn the power supply off, disconnect the HDMI cable to the Samsung TV and both WD external hard drives in order
to get the computer to get past the BIOS.

When I get to the Windows login screen I then reconnect the external hard drives and the Samsung TV.

I noticed both external hard drives show up in the boot list. Is this normal?

I also am still getting Q code 98.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Disconnecting the USB cable from your monitor and the external drives should solve your problem.

Thanks Chino. I don't have a USB cable connected to my monitor. It is DVI. The TV is HDMI. I don't quite
understand how disconnecting the devices solves my problem. Are you saying I can't/shouldn't use my monitor and/or external
drives?

At this point I am thinking I might want to cut my losses with the ASUS Rampage V and go with another motherboard.

Chino
Level 15
No. I'm saying that some legacy USB devices including mouse, keyboards, external drives are not compatible with the X99 platform and will cause conflicts during boot. You will need to update their firmware. If none is provided, you can disable xHCI in the BIOS as a workaround until a firmware update is provided by your device's manufacturer.

And yes, I've seen the WD external hard drives causing boot conflicts in past threads. The general recommendation is to leave them disconnected until when needed.

Korth
Level 14
Legacy USB devices should still enumerate properly (as far the motherboard can tell) if they're plugged through a non-legacy USB hub device.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Have two each 64bit systems connected to a router connected to a cable mode and a switch, two each WD MY Book external drives, a blu-ray player and an UHD 4K 70" flatscreen TV . The TV, Blu-Ray player and the two WD externals are all connected to the systems using the router and the switch - have had no problems with installing Win10 TP with the external drives powered up during the install and reboots. I'm assuming here the external drives, being connected to the router, are isolated from the install and reboot process and are not giving me any problems. (Obviously I can't prove this - just passing on the info.)
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD