cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThunderboltEX 3 firmware update ?

linxeye
Level 8
Guys,

I have a ThunderboltEX 3 card running on my RVE. Since Intel latest drivers, posted in december and needed for W10 AU full compliance, I get at each W10 boot a popup to update my firmware that directs me here : https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates.

Thing is Asus hasn't posted a single FW update for the ThunderboltEX 3. It's running a very old firmware that doesn't support any modern TB devices. Level is NVM 8.xx with no support for external GFX or Network (to mention a few).

Can anyone at Asus update us on the status of the TB3EX board ? Is it still supported ? Will there be a firmware update ? When ?

Thanks.
320 Views
125 REPLIES 125

hellokitty wrote:
i can try it later. the picture answers your question.


yes but thunderbolt connector powerdown usb external box and not working

maybe it's my bad card

thanks for your test

alvarogiudi
Level 8
My motherboard: asus WS X299 SAGE/10G x299

I remove the asus thunderboltex 3 card:
because Old firmware that cannot be updated.

the thunderbolt port does not support usb 3. i can only use usb3 on the dedicated usb3 port.

when asus card is installed it creates problems for other cards including built-in 10g nic

----------------------------

so i changed the card with gigabytes GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) and install this card on WS X299 SAGE/10G x299

the titan ridge card is the latest card that supports the x299 chip, the GC-MAPLE RIDGE model (rev. 1.0) requires the pci express 4.0 connectors "so it doesn't work on x299"

Install GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0):

0) vga install on slot3 and titan install on slot2
1) enable bios asus thundeborld card
2) select slot pciexpress = 2 " asus WS X299 SAGE/10G x299" support thundeborld only splot2
3) enable: gpio3 force pwr
4) security livel sl0
5) I don't know how to set the other parameters bios. if you know how to set them write it down.
6) connect cable 5pin on titan and connect to asus.
7) connect two pci power (the card works even without connecting the two pciex cables)
😎 not connect 3pin cable
9) not connect usb cable

installa minumum drivers: intel_thunderbolt_1.41.1155.0 but i have install bb intel_thunderbolt_1.41.1193.0

the card titan does not create irq problems, the card does not move the sequences of the other cards. the titan does not damage the operation of the other cards that I have mounted. the card does not damage the asus integrated nic.

drivers thunderbolt correct install and usb controller asmedia correct install

90122

90123

90124

test:
test thundebolt pass but I have no peripherals to test

test:
I connected usb3.1 gen2 peripherals on the two thunderbolt ports and they work perfectly at the same time at 10GB / s
no errors no disconnections no problems under stress.

GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) firmware = 50

alvarogiudi wrote:
My motherboard: asus WS X299 SAGE/10G x299

I remove the asus thunderboltex 3 card:
because Old firmware that cannot be updated.

the thunderbolt port does not support usb 3. i can only use usb3 on the dedicated usb3 port.

when asus card is installed it creates problems for other cards including built-in 10g nic

----------------------------

so i changed the card with gigabytes GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) and install this card on WS X299 SAGE/10G x299

the titan ridge card is the latest card that supports the x299 chip, the GC-MAPLE RIDGE model (rev. 1.0) requires the pci express 4.0 connectors "so it doesn't work on x299"

Install GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0):

0) vga install on slot3 and titan install on slot2
1) enable bios asus thundeborld card
2) select slot pciexpress = 2 " asus WS X299 SAGE/10G x299" support thundeborld only splot2
3) enable: gpio3 force pwr
4) security livel sl0
5) I don't know how to set the other parameters bios. if you know how to set them write it down.
6) connect cable 5pin on titan and connect to asus.
7) connect two pci power (the card works even without connecting the two pciex cables)
😎 not connect 3pin cable
9) not connect usb cable

installa minumum drivers: intel_thunderbolt_1.41.1155.0 but i have install bb intel_thunderbolt_1.41.1193.0

the card titan does not create irq problems, the card does not move the sequences of the other cards. the titan does not damage the operation of the other cards that I have mounted. the card does not damage the asus integrated nic.

drivers thunderbolt correct install and usb controller asmedia correct install

90122

90123

90124

test:
test thundebolt pass but I have no peripherals to test

test:
I connected usb3.1 gen2 peripherals on the two thunderbolt ports and they work perfectly at the same time at 10GB / s
no errors no disconnections no problems under stress.

GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) firmware = 50


I have same board, and gigabyte alpine ridge v 1.0 card. yeh it works no problem, never tried asus card, cause i need two ports. i have a Titan ridge card, that sorta works, but more problems. i tried maple ridge, and was just more problems. I think my titan ridge is a 1.0?

hellokitty wrote:
I have same board, and gigabyte alpine ridge v 1.0 card. yeh it works no problem, never tried asus card, cause i need two ports. i have a Titan ridge card, that sorta works, but more problems. i tried maple ridge, and was just more problems. I think my titan ridge is a 1.0?


I do not know the functioning of the other gigabyte cards and of this only one I bought I can tell you that it is the 2.0 version with fw 50 buy on amazon.com
this card has two thunderbolt connections and both of them also work for usb3.1 10gb and 5gb

if you have problems I can only tell you to buy the same card that I bought

do you know the parameters of the asus bios for thunderbolt?

alvarogiudi wrote:
I do not know the functioning of the other gigabyte cards and of this only one I bought I can tell you that it is the 2.0 version with fw 50 buy on amazon.com
this card has two thunderbolt connections and both of them also work for usb3.1 10gb and 5gb

if you have problems I can only tell you to buy the same card that I bought

do you know the parameters of the asus bios for thunderbolt?
did you get any devices hooked to it? cause thats where you can see issues. i have a x99 with the asus card ex1? no problems with that one. I swear i bought and returned the one you have, cause i would boot up, nothing would show, had to unplug, re-plug the thunderbolt cable. just wierd stuff. Theres info out there, but i dont change much of anything. check out thunderbolt audio device forums, like universal audio, lots of thunderbolt info there.

hellokitty wrote:
did you get any devices hooked to it? cause thats where you can see issues. i have a x99 with the asus card ex1? no problems with that one. I swear i bought and returned the one you have, cause i would boot up, nothing would show, had to unplug, re-plug the thunderbolt cable. just wierd stuff. Theres info out there, but i dont change much of anything. check out thunderbolt audio device forums, like universal audio, lots of thunderbolt info there.


sorry i didn't understand your questions in english

before i had the asus card and they don't work well with anything, now i put the titan. The only tests done are with external storage. I don't rehearse with video or audio. For now, I've only done stress tests and connection reliability tests. I'm going to do the thundebold-only storage test shortly.