cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThunderboltEX 3 firmware update ?

linxeye
Level 8
Guys,

I have a ThunderboltEX 3 card running on my RVE. Since Intel latest drivers, posted in december and needed for W10 AU full compliance, I get at each W10 boot a popup to update my firmware that directs me here : https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates.

Thing is Asus hasn't posted a single FW update for the ThunderboltEX 3. It's running a very old firmware that doesn't support any modern TB devices. Level is NVM 8.xx with no support for external GFX or Network (to mention a few).

Can anyone at Asus update us on the status of the TB3EX board ? Is it still supported ? Will there be a firmware update ? When ?

Thanks.
125 REPLIES 125

DigitalMetal wrote:
To anyone who switched from the Asus EX3 to the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge, have you been able to get more than one to work on the Alpine ridge?
Only one of the two will work for me so this isn't good, I was able to get the one TB and one USB 3.1 port both working on the EX3 card but it was a little intermittent and got the AR card hoping to have two working ports.
I'm using the latest NUC TB drivers from intel and one port works just fine but not the second.

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply almost forgot about this thread. I can't tell you because I literally only have 1 thunderbolt device so I can't check to see if both ports work at the same time. Do both ports work for your devices but just not at the same time? Or only the 1 same port works & never the other?

hellokitty
Level 11
No they dont, ive never had issue. Its the safest to shut down computer and devices when plugging in, or out. Install drivers first and setup the settings in the bios correctly. I use this version. 85023

hello

latest official asus firmware is version 18.5, very old

some cards bought new arrive with version 21 22 maximum 26 detected

I'm looking for the .bin file to update the card to have the latest firmware available, maybe 26 or higher, but I can't find anything or solutions. Asus support as well know does not exist

Can you help me I have no more ideas

thanks

alvarogiudi wrote:
hello

I'm looking for the .bin file to update the card to have the latest firmware available, maybe 26 or higher, but I can't find anything or solutions. Asus support as well know does not exist

thanks

mine is 26 not gonna go any higher. you can use certain gigabyte cards. in your computer also. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Thunderbolt-Card

it is worth checking out.

alvarogiudi wrote:
hello

thanks

I just orderd a Gigabyte Maple ridge card, ill let you know how it goes, 1 person on amazon, said it worked with his evga x299 board.

hellokitty wrote:
I just orderd a Gigabyte Maple ridge card, ill let you know how it goes, 1 person on amazon, said it worked with his evga x299 board.

thank you for your support

we wait for you to tell us how the card is working and on which x299 you did the test.

hello

question about the connector for thunderboltex 3:

--if i connect a usb disk to the usb3 10gb port the disk works correct
--if i connect a usb disk on the thunderbolt port with a "10gb or 20gb usb-c cable" the usb disk does not turn on and does not work, i have tried various external usb drives and cables.

Should the thunderbolt port be usb 3.1 compatible?

alvarogiudi wrote:
hello

question about the connector for thunderboltex 3:

--if i connect a usb disk to the usb3 10gb port the disk works correct
--if i connect a usb disk on the thunderbolt port with a "10gb or 20gb usb-c cable" the usb disk does not turn on and does not work, i have tried various external usb drives and cables.

Should the thunderbolt port be usb 3.1 compatible?
No, i am pretty shure it is not. You can get a Thunderbolt dock, that has usb 3.? that will work, even old thunderbolt 2 docks.

alvarogiudi
Level 8

hello

see image: usb-c is tb3+usb3.1

alvarogiudi wrote:

hello

see image: usb-c is tb3+usb3.1

i can try it later. the picture answers your question.