cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt on Rampage V Extreme - Requirements How To? Help

blackiecb
Level 8
Ok I have a 5 pin Thunderbolt header on my MB.

What hardware do I need to setup and use this header?
Manual says this is for a add-on Thunderbolt I/O card.

Where do I go to buy this equipment?

Do I need any additional drivers or software.
67 REPLIES 67

Did you read my post directly above yours about installing all the drivers/software BEFORE plugging in the Thunderbolt module? I left all the UEFI settings at default for now.
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"

RickROG
Level 11
I got it Jan. 28, 1015-ASUS ThunderboltEX II Dual-patience grasshopper. 🙂

RickROG wrote:
I got it Jan. 28, 1015-ASUS ThunderboltEX II Dual-patience grasshopper. 🙂

Hey rick can you confirm your bios version and which slot you have the asus thunderboltex ii dual in?

On my board if i put the card in and plug the header of the card on the motherboard the system wont post at all.
And fromthe looks of the # on it it seems like its stuck in a loop trying to post...

Running latest 1201 bios with stock settings

I open a case with asus and they couldnt even tell me if it should work or not ... Kind bummed out right now 😞

Lobo2515 wrote:
Hey rick can you confirm your bios version and which slot you have the asus thunderboltex ii dual in?

On my board if i put the card in and plug the header of the card on the motherboard the system wont post at all.
And fromthe looks of the # on it it seems like its stuck in a loop trying to post...

Running latest 1201 bios with stock settings

I open a case with asus and they couldnt even tell me if it should work or not ... Kind bummed out right now 😞

BIOS=1201; CPU 4G at 1.152v (all other voltages default or auto), GPU frequency=stock 2133mz voltages all default/auto

Thunderbolt:

Specification=1.0
Sample Code=1.10
Intel Chip=Falcobridge
Slot=last one at bottom of board=PCIEX 8-4

Of course, the drivers were installed before the Card?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Install the included driver before installing the card. The custom fees must be a one way street. I do quite a bit business with Canadian companies and never have to pay custom fees here in the states. Today I received some water cooling parts from DazMode. The exact parts are either not stocked by companies here or are out of stock. Other than the normal UPS shipping amount there were no other charges.

Install the included driver before installing the card.

Many thanks again Praz. That is something I definitely might have not done-although reading the manual now that I have the module I see it is listed as one of the installation requirements I don't know if I have to pay duty, was just assuming...but, if you've experienced the opposite then I am probably wrong. Oh well, we'll see. 🙂 I am sure glad I was able to pick up the dual port model...all good things come in pairs... LOL

MacMike
Level 7
hi there, on which PCI slot did u install the Thunderbolt Duo Card? i have a single Graphics setup (for now) and wondering if i can use the thunderbolt card and an extra Raid Controller card.

MacMike wrote:
hi there, on which PCI slot did u install the Thunderbolt Duo Card? i have a single Graphics setup (for now) and wondering if i can use the thunderbolt card and an extra Raid Controller card.

My thunderbolt card is in the PCI slot x4_1

Roland2 wrote:
My thunderbolt card is in the PCI slot x4_1

That bottom x4 slot is one's only non x8 x16 option when running SLI and even then it is tight to the second video card I would imagine n'est pa'? 🙂

The Thunderbolt card sits right above my second GPU which is in the x16/8_3 slot. It doesn't interfere with my SLI at all.