cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Will Not Boot With Two GTX 980Ti GPU's Installed

Roland2
Level 9
I had two GTX 780Ti GPU's, and they worked fine. Decided to upgrade to two GTX 980Ti GPU's for the added VRAM. When I installed the 9880Ti's, the computer wouldn't boot. Q-codes keep cycling, it pauses at 68, then pause at 79, then goes through several codes real quick, pausing again at 68 and continues the pattern.

If I disable either one of the cards using the dip switches on the board, the computer works fine.

The GPUs are in the two PCIE-X16 slots (PCIE slots 1 and 3).

The only time I ever got the option to enter setup, is when I cleared the bios, and got the screen where it says to press F1 to enter setup. Once in setup I pressed F10 to save, the computer reboots with the above issue.

I have tried both UEFI 1701, and 1801 with the same issue.

Thanks for any help.
17 REPLIES 17

Qwinn
Level 11
Need more system specs. Particularly processor.

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Make sure you have the EZ plug Molex plugged in at the base of the board, and post your system specs including your PSU.

Also you could try them in slot 1&2 its not the recommended config but they should work but they won't be in 16x 16x mode, I had some funky slot detection issues with my boards I tried with my SLI, it seems to be sorted now and both are working in 16x mode.

Also test each card individually make sure you've not got a Faulty one out of the 2.

If your still having problems then check your system stability with one GPU in and pay a lot of attention to your memory kit and its stability, also check your power supply is enough for those beasty's, they pull 250w each, for 2 you really want a min of 1200w preferably 1650w PSU.

But I suspect you have some hidden system instability like I had with my memory kit, took me a month with this board to sort out properly, and I'm not confident its not going to raise its head again, also if your running a overclock tone it back some, and or give your voltages a tweak.

Also try the safe boot button and check your cards are both being detected in the bios if you can indeed get it to post.

Thanks for the replies.

In no particular order:

Yes, both cards are detected in bios. I checked this when I reset bios and had to press F1 to enter setup.
As stated in the OP, I have tested the cards individually, and they both work fine. Booted into Windows, played GPU intensive games, etc.
I didn't post system specs, since the system has worked for over a year with two 780Ti's, but since you asked:
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel 5930K at stock speeds
RAM: 32Gig, G-Skill, Ripjaw 4 at base speed 2133MHz
HD: Tested with just Samsung XP941 M2 SSD
PS: EVGA Supernova 1600 G2

Power requirements are the same as the 780Ti's I removed (250W each) Also, the system isn't pulling more then 200-300 on boot up. (I have a power monitor installed)
The GPU's are the EVGA Hydro-copper models, so changing slots isn't easily doable. Last resort type of thing.

EZplug: not connected...I can't get the cover off.

I have seen a couple of times on this forum where multiple GPU's caused issues until the EZplug was finally used. Not saying that is your problem, but it is worth a try. What do you mean that you can't get the cover off?
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

I have connected the EZ-Plug. Didn't realize it plugs in from the side of the MB, not down towards the MB (ie: there was no cover, it was the top of the plug).

Did not fix the problem, same symptoms.

Hmmm - Hawkstorm suggested the Safeboot button - did you try that? And specifically what memory kit are you using? Is it on the QVL? Try switching the memory around (swap slots) or boot with 1 stick, 2 sticks...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

Roland2
Level 9
Red, why are you fixated on the RAM? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand why replacing 780tis with 980Tis would have anything to do with system RAM.

Anyway, the ram is G-Skill F4-2133C15Q-32GRK. They are on the QVL.
It has passed memtest in the past, but I haven't run it lately.

Edit: I didn't try the safeboot button, since I already know I can get into bios by clearing cmos. It just wont boot once I exit bios.

Are there any UEFI/bios setting that might help?

Not fixated so much - just trying to throw ideas out there. I am sure you are frustrated after dropping the $ for the 980's and then all the problems.

I know over the years I have had problems that will sometimes go away and you never really know what you did to fix it, or some oddball solution works, and it doesn't make sense why. Or the classic situation where you try several things and get lazy and don't reboot in between changes. Then you finally reboot and everything is fixed - except you don't know which change (or combination) is responsible for the fix. The last "D'oh" moment I had was a couple weeks ago with a build that wouldn't post - no BIOS screen - just nothing. Took a while to realize that I forgot to put the RAM in...

Qwinn
Level 11
Just making sure, CSM mode is disabled?

SLI cable is plugged into both cards and seated properly?

Edit: actually, try with CSM both disabled and enabled. When you clear cmos it is enabled by default. Do you know for certain if your windows install was UEFI?