cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System randomly powers on during the night?

Mangonz
Level 9
So... I have been noticing my system has been sitting in sleep mode most mornings (can tell by the OC panel being on) despite selecting shutdown from within Windows the night before.

Last night I finally caught it in the act - I shutdown and was doing some other work in the same room for a couple of hours when my PC spontaneously powered on and booted up to desktop. Had I left it there it would have eventually entered a sleep state which is how I normally find my PC after getting home or waking up.

PC was definitely fully shut down and not already in sleep, there wasn't any movement of the mouse and WOL isn't enabled.

Anyone else had this issue with their R5E?

I have the Corsair System Link cable from my PSU plugged into a USB header, unsure if there could be a firmware glitch that could trigger a power on.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Have you checked inside the APM Configuration to make sure everything is disabled?

Also try disabling your USB devices from waking up the computer in Windows.

AdamC
Level 10
There is a thread (find it yourself I am too lazy) and it has been resolved at least for me and the one discovered. There is a wake up setting under Windows.

AdamC wrote:
There is a thread (find it yourself I am too lazy) and it has been resolved at least for me and the one discovered. There is a wake up setting under Windows.

If you're referring to preventing the LAN adapter from waking the PC, that would be under the Power Management section for the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V adapter in the device manager. Uncheck the box for Allow this device to wake up the computer and the Only allow a magic packet to wake up the computer options.

Chino wrote:
If you're referring to preventing the LAN adapter from waking the PC, that would be under the Power Management section for the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V adapter in the device manager. Uncheck the box for Allow this device to wake up the computer and the Only allow a magic packet to wake up the computer options.

Ahah this! Everything under APM in the bios was already disabled and the I218-V doesn't have a 'Allow this device to wake up the computer' tick option like other network adaptors, but 'Wake on magic packet' was still ticked in the Power Management panel of the driver in Windows.
Unticked it (took several minutes to apply this setting interestingly), shut down and went out for dinner.

PC was still off when I came home so cautiously optimistic that may have been the culprit.

Korth
Level 14
What does your PC do after powering itself on?

Some system maintenance process (updates, cleanup, defrag, scanning) or some download manager could be scheduled to activate itself during those "off" times.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

Would somebody care to explain to me why this option is causing problems to some and no problems at all to others ? This has just "pinched" my curiosity.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey,

Would somebody care to explain to me why this option is causing problems to some and no problems at all to others ? This has just "pinched" my curiosity.

Max

Someone is sending these magic packets over your network. It makes you think who the hell is playing with you. lol

GoNz0-
Level 10
I used to get this on older firmwares, didn't happen on 1103 and 1401.

No magic packets were sent, it is another Asus BIOS bug. Odd thing is windows 8.1 cannot be woken by a magic packet from the off power state, only hibernation and sleep to reinforce it being a bug.

AdamC
Level 10
Speaking of bug now my pc will crash if going into hibernation. I disabled hibernation and problem solved well sort of.