cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System instability at 3200Mhz,in need of help!

billchron
Level 7
Hey guys

I recently built up my new rig but,as the title says,i can't get it stable at the speed of my modules which is 3200Mhz.
Main PC Specs:
MB:Asus ROG Rampage V extreme (BIOS Version 3504,latest)
CPU:I7 6800k
RAM:32Gb 4x8 Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200 Mhz 16-18-18-36 (2 separate 16Gb kits for a total of 32Gb)
PSU:coolermaster M2 1000w
Cooler:Corsair hydro 115i

By enabling in bios the XMP profile it doesn't boot and the Q-Code on the mobo is bd.
By changing the Ai overclock tuner to manual (left the core ratio to auto and the BCLK AT 100),setting the DRAM frequency at 3200,the DRAM voltage to 1.35V and setting the DRAM timing manually at 16-18-18-36 i finally managed to get into windows but 3 out of 5 stability and stress tests (1 of 2 AIDA64 extreme and 2 of 3 OCCT) reported errors (run for an hour each).
Now i brought bios back to the default settings and i'm here asking kindly for your help on how to set it up right!The bios of this mobo has many voltages and other options to tweak,i'm pretty sure there is a way to make it work properly at 3200mhz but i don't know how.I have some basic knowledge of overclocking but none of it helped me solve this matter.
Below i attached some photos (i'm sorry for the quality)to make it easier for you to guide me through.If you need any other info or photo let me know.

Thank you all in advance!
7,551 Views
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try raising CPU System agent voltage....try manual 1.1 or 1.15v....maybe 1.2 if you see things improving as you raise voltage...

In the digi+ section try setting DRAM current cap to 120 or 130% and phases to optimized or extreme...

You can also try Rampage Tweak to 2 in DRAM settings page....

Make sure your RAM is seated properly etc first.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Try raising CPU System agent voltage....try manual 1.1 or 1.15v....maybe 1.2 if you see things improving as you raise voltage...

In the digi+ section try setting DRAM current cap to 120 or 130% and phases to optimized or extreme...

You can also try Rampage Tweak to 2 in DRAM settings page....

Make sure your RAM is seated properly etc first.


Arne ,at first, thank you very much for the instant reply.Should i bring manually the DRAM Freq,DRAM voltage and DRAM timings to the values i mentioned earlier and apply additionally the tweaks you mentioned or just apply what you said at the default settings without changing anything else?

billchron wrote:
Arne ,at first, thank you very much for the instant reply.Should i bring manually the DRAM Freq,DRAM voltage and DRAM timings to the values i mentioned earlier and apply additionally the tweaks you mentioned or just apply what you said at the default settings without changing anything else?


Yes, set the ram up manually as before and try the tweaks suggested...will be your best chance of running two kits together...

If you can do it of course the answer is to get a single kit of the density and frequency you require...

So i set the DRAM Freq to 3200,DRAM Timing to 16-18-18-36 and Rampage Tweak in Mode1cause in Auto didn't even post (bd) and in mode2 was very unstable and gave a couple of BSODs,the DRAM Volts to 1.35 and the System Agent Voltage to 1.14.

I'll try AIDA64 extreme now to see how to goes.Do you thing i should change the DRAM command rate?now its on auto by default and in CPU-Z it says 2T.

The question is what else should be tweaked in case AIDA64 fails..
Here are some CPU-Z screenshots

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
bd is a training code

No need to change DRAM phase control options. Adjust the system agent voltage as suggested.

Arny is implying you adjust this rail at the kits rated speed and timings. Unfortunately, those settings are moot as you are combining two kits together. Memory kits are binned by the vendors at the density they are sold in. Meaning as soon as you combine them, the stability margins are somewhat meaningless :).

You're not the first person to make this assumption, nor will you be the last, but have a read of the link below:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...


May be best to return the kits and purchase one singular kit qualified for the platform you are using.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
bd is a training code

No need to change DRAM phase control options. Adjust the system agent voltage as suggested.

Arny is implying you adjust this rail at the kits rated speed and timings. Unfortunately, those settings are moot as you are combining two kits together. Memory kits are binned by the vendors at the density they are sold in. Meaning as soon as you combine them, the stability margins are somewhat meaningless :).

You're not the first person to make this assumption, nor will you be the last, but have a read of the link below:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...


May be best to return the kits and purchase one singular kit qualified for the platform you are using.


I know..i made a bad decision combining 2 kits,i read the article only recently ,after i built up my rig.Anyway, i'm heading into the bios now to apply the changes,will be back shortly.

So i set the:
DRAM Freq to 3200
DRAM Timing to 16-18-18-36
Rampage Tweak in Mode1
DRAM Volts to 1.35
System Agent Voltage to 1.20.

Still, both AIDA and OCCT give me errors.Do you think i should tweak more the agent voltage,gradually up to 1.30?Do you think the VCCIO CPU should be changed,i noticed it's 1.24v while the system agent voltage is at 1.20v?I start to believe though that at 3200mhz it's the CPU that gives the instability to the system...

billchron wrote:
I start to believe though that at 3200mhz it's the CPU that gives the instability to the system...

Yeah, the CPU has the memory controller...

I would remove one of the kits and see if it can work with only one (make sure that the single kit is inserted in the DIMMs suggested by the manual). Then swap the kits... Try both default and XMP setting on both kits and save the rest of the timings for each... then you will know if one of them is weaker or you will know which timings will need to be relaxed...